Author Topic: Planting lotuses in Sept.  (Read 725 times)

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Planting lotuses in Sept.
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
I finally had the time to plant the last 9 lotus plants for this year. I planted them today. I planted 7 plants about a month ago and they are all doing fine. These were the last of the plants from tubers that were separated last March. The plants have just been left in tubs of water since then, with being sprayed with Monty's Joy Juice plant food twice during that time. A couple of the plants planted today had aerial leaves, but the aerial leaves on most of them had died down and there are only floating leaves on them now. That is due to the cool nights, and lack of nutrients. I lifted the entire plant out of the water they have been in, and laid them on top of the soil in the new tubs, trying not to break the runners. Most of the bigger tubers had died and all that is left are the new runners. I then placed a little soil on the roots and filled the tubs with water. This is the same process I used on the ones  planted last month. I am not concerned about the plants blooming next year, but I want them to survive through the winter and grow tubers. They should bloom the second summer if not this next one. If this works and the plants survive through the winter, it will be great info for those who want lotuses next year. It will show that the tubers do not have to be planted so quickly and can be kept in water for longer periods of time before planting.   
I did not dig up the lotuses, they were never planted. The tubers just continued growing in the water.
Has anyone else tried planting lotuses this late before?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:38:17 PM by matherfish »

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Planting lotuses in Sept.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »
No Frank. But I have a friend here in zone 6 that separates her lotus in the fall and stores her tubers in her celler. Then she pots them in the spring. I just don't have time int the fall to do it. I have too many other plants to try to save.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"