Author Topic: Help constructing a small pond  (Read 2398 times)

Offline russianred95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/09/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Help constructing a small pond
« on: September 18, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »
Hello everybody,

I am having trouble constructing a pond. Its located in front of the house and receives a little sun. The size is approx. 3ft by 3ft (circle shape) Right next to it are bricks that rise up about 10 inches. This is where the water fall is supposed to go. I need some ideas on how to make it look. Pictures help a lot!.

Picture:

Green= plants
Blue= pond area
Gray= bricks

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
Re: Help constructing a small pond
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
 :welcome: Nice to meet you red if it's ok to call ya that for short, I'm not sure what you want help with but if you just look around maybe in the Do It yourself threads you might see something like what you are trying to do or ask more specific questions on what you need to know. Do you just want pics of others ponds or waterfalls or do you want ............hmmmmmmmmmm, I just don't know  :o Give us more to go on please  ;D. Here is a pic of my pond but it's not a very good pic as I am needing a new camera real soon  :)

Offline russianred95

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:23:28 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. But, yes I am looking for pictures. More pictures that are a close up of where the water comes out. I have rocks that are basalt I believe. So no I cant really use river rock here. The color is dark gray in all shapes, forms, and sizes. Some are rusted, an orange color that is kind of ugly.

Yes it is OK to call me RED. Thanks for the kind welcome to the forum.

I will look into the other threads to see if I can find what your are talking about.

Thanks again!

PS: I think the size of your waterfall is exactly what I need. Also what pump are you using and where can I get one?

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:09:23 AM »
I have a 2400 GPH Pondmaster mag-drive pump and I've had it for 8yrs and no problems at all. I have run it 24/7 for the whole time but this year I am going to shut it down in the winter cause I don't want all that cold water circulating so as to chill the fish. We had a very cold winter last yr and I lost half my fish. Could have been because I let the waterfall run and chilled them but also I should have cleaned out the gunk on the pond bottom better. I paid $129.95 + $8.95 shipping for mine but that was many yrs ago at Pet Expo on line and they no longer exist so you will just have to check around and see what's out there now. Here is a link to one place I found on line but you may be able to do better than this one if you check around. It will at least show you what the pump is like :

http://futurepets.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=EUD2522

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »
Pondmaster has a website of its own:  www.pondmasterstore.com    I actually bought an impeller from them last year for their pump that had lasted about 9 years.  Put the impeller in, gave it to my daughter who had dug a small pond, it's been running 24/7 all summer so far. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »
Pondmaster has a website of its own:  www.pondmasterstore.com    I actually bought an impeller from them last year for their pump that had lasted about 9 years.  Put the impeller in, gave it to my daughter who had dug a small pond, it's been running 24/7 all summer so far. 
I went there to the site and it looks like they only sell the parts tho. I couldn't find any prices for the actual pumps. Let me know if you can if you find out tho cause I'd like to purchase a spare one just in case  :)

Offline russianred95

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 07:14:43 PM »
So JW can I get some pictures close up of your waterfall? Or do you have anything very similar that you can post/link too.

BTW I'm in Spokane, WA so if you happen to get bored and want to build a waterfall just drop by anytime. ;)

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 09:19:27 AM »
Hey neighbor.............didn't know you lived in beautiful Washington  @O@. If you lived closer I would be glad to help you. I love digging ponds and making waterfalls..............at least over here in Arlington where the soil is very sandy  {:-P;;. I have this one picture but it's not so good. I will try and get another one as soon as my battery charges up. My camera is not so good either for taking still pics. It's really a video camera so I am looking forward to getting a new camera this winter sometime. You can just google "how to build a waterfall" and there you will find many types of idea's like this one: http: 

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-wXPXKNvX0

Offline russianred95

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 09:28:48 PM »
Do you have a preformed waterfall? I am having trouble building a water flow that doesn't come in contact with the rocks behind it (when the water falls over the edge). And good website on a how-to?

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 10:47:10 AM »
My DH built me a round structure out of stainless steel  as he is a sheet metal worker. It has a lip that protrudes out so the water flows out over the edge so I guess you would call it a preformed but not the kind that has the stream bed for the water to flow down. It looks more like a big filter. I just piled rocks up all around from the base up and behind the water fall so that the water just falls straight down. Some people make their falls so that it flows more like a stream flows but if you do that I think you will have to use the foam sealant so the water doesn't go down behind the rocks. On my first pond I just built up a big hill of dirt and dug out the center and laid a big piece of pond liner over the whole thing so that the liner slanted down into the pond so no water could escape. I then ran the big flex tube up over the top and into the center in the hole and then piled rocks all around the outside of the hill against the liner to hide the hose and the liner. I enclose a picture of the old pond waterfall here but don't think it shows up too good.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 11:02:55 AM »
Hey Red, check out in the category "photo album" and look at the post: My first try at a pond-Thanks to this site by Hawkivette. Maybe you can get some ideas from his pictures and ask questions to him on how he did his waterfall  :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"