Author Topic: Cleaning an LCD screen  (Read 2259 times)

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Cleaning an LCD screen
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:00:45 AM »

Got this tip from a newsletter I receive from Kim Komando

Cleaning an LCD screen

10/9/2009

Q. I considered using Windex to clean my flat-screen LCD and PC screen. Bad or good idea?  Right now I just spray a little distilled water on a 100 percent cotton T-shirt to do the job.
—John in Houston, listening on KPRC 950 AM

A. LCDs are sensitive to various cleaning products, including ammonia. So I wouldn't use an all-purpose glass cleaner like Windex.

You can find LCD cleaning kits in stores. This is the more expensive way to go. On the other hand, they don't require you to mix stuff.

Distilled water is OK for removing dust. It may not be satisfactory for greasier problems, like fingerprints. But, if it's doing the job, it's probably the safest thing you can use.

You don't want to use tap water. It's got dissolved minerals and salts in it. They will most likely result in smears.

Hard-to-remove stuff is a danger with water. We have a tendency to bear down when faced with stuck-on substances. Pressing an LCD screen is not a good idea. You can fry the pixels. I'd rather have a dirty screen than a bunch of burned-out pixels.

If you need something more powerful than water, try white vinegar. Mix it 50-50 with distilled water in something like an empty Windex bottle.

Some people recommend 72 percent isopropyl alcohol. Others think that's not a good idea. So, I'd turn to vinegar first.

If you use alcohol, make sure it's the 72 percent isopropyl variety. Other mixes might cause damage. Again, mix it 50-50 with distilled water.

Isopropyl alcohol is not good for your innards. Or, your outtards. Use it in a well-ventilated area. Keep it away from flames. Don't drink it, for heaven's sake! And wear gloves.

The cloth you use is also important. It needs to be soft, soft, soft. Most experts recommend microfiber cloth. You should be able to find it in stores. If not, there's a ton available online.

I wouldn't reuse microfiber cloths. LCD screens are easily scratched. So, I'd discard the cloth after use.

Don't use paper towels. They can harbor bits of wood. And those bits could lead to scratches.

When you wipe the LCD, do not spray liquid on it. The liquid could run between the frame and the screen. There are electrical connections in there, and liquid could short them.

Instead, spray the liquid on the cloth. Don't get the cloth sopping wet. Again, putting too much liquid on the screen is dangerous. It'll run all over the place. Just moisten the cloth.

Offline Mrshkoiluver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/10/2009
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning an LCD screen
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 03:44:54 PM »
A teaspoon of dish soap mixed in a spray bottle and spray on your microfiber cloth first to clean. My hubby is a Distribution GM for home and car electronics. This is how he told me to clean our TV and computer screens. He said to never use windex or the like.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 04:54:07 PM »
A teaspoon of dish soap mixed in a spray bottle and spray on your microfiber cloth first to clean. My hubby is a Distribution GM for home and car electronics. This is how he told me to clean our TV and computer screens. He said to never use windex or the like.

Thanks Mrshkoiluver..........how much water to the tsp of dish soap?

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:05:02 AM »
Here's the best one:

Screen cleaner
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 11:08:46 AM »
Here's the best one:

Screen cleaner

lol I should have known Michael  lol

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"