Author Topic: Datura  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
Datura
« on: November 09, 2006, 12:11:43 AM »
Though they are toxic, their beauty and evening fragrance is an entirely different kind of ‘intoxicating’.  I wonder how large they would get in a zone 10 location?  They get  six or seven feet high for me before the freeze gets them. :)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Datura
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 05:26:17 AM »
Wow!  They are lovely!  Do you ever collect seeds?

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 07:49:12 AM »
Just beautiful, o(:-)

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 08:10:40 AM »
I haven't had much luck with the Angels Trumpets here. I have been looking for these since the look much the same except with more intense coloration. I too am curious. Have you gotten any seed from the little spiky looking pods?
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 09:13:08 AM »
Zone 10 here!  If you ever get seed do holler.  Really exotic!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 09:14:40 AM »
 O0

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 10:13:03 AM »
Wow!  They are lovely!  Do you ever collect seeds?
I sure do collect the seeds as often as the plant allows.  The pods mature late and if picked before the fleshy skin cracks, they won't be viable. :)

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 10:17:09 AM »
If you have any that you just have no where left to store them  {:-P;;  {:-P;;  {:-P;;
Please keep me in mind. Does it get back to 6' or so each year from ground level?
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 10:24:25 AM »
Thanks for the information :) The frost got my double purple before it could set viable seed. It had pods but they hadn't cracked yet. Yours are lovely. I'll try them again next year. Luckily ebay has lots of datura seed sellers :)
(Leftovers?? Storage??..isn't Oklahoma on the way to Texas??   ;) {:-P;; {:-P;;)

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 10:36:01 AM »
Thanks for the information :) The frost got my double purple before it could set viable seed. It had pods but they hadn't cracked yet. Yours are lovely. I'll try them again next year. Luckily ebay has lots of datura seed sellers :)
(Leftovers?? Storage??..isn't Oklahoma on the way to Texas??   ;) {:-P;; {:-P;;)
Start your seed indoors in Oklahoma to improve wyour chances of mature seed.  As you may have found out already found out, the pod production is prolific, if only we could get them to mature. ;)  That Texas comment wouldn' be refering to a joke about how to get ther from the east or west coast would it? ::) O0 ::)

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 11:36:28 AM »
Getting seed trays ready :)
Datura and Brugs aren't the same thing are they or are they? The Datura bloom well but I've yet to see a bloom on my Brugs. Not sure I want to mess with Brugs anymore when Datura bloom quicker. It's probably something I'm doing wrong with the Brugs but God knows I've tried to grow the danged things.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 03:58:05 PM »
I keep buying seed off eBay for that double datura and they never germinate. Must be old seed. I have tried four years in a row with no success. Yours looks great!

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »
I keep buying seed off eBay for that double datura and they never germinate. Must be old seed. I have tried four years in a row with no success. Yours looks great!

Cheers,
Sean
I use an inordinate amount of seed when planting Sean.   Even with fresh viable seed I only get sporadic germination in the first two weeks.  I’ll put ten or twenty seeds per cell of a seventy-two cell flat and be lucky to have one plant per cell in two to three weeks.  Funny thing though, seedlings keep popping up for the next three months around the base of the original transplants that germinated first.  I’ve given up on flats in the past and tossed them aside on the greenhouse floor. My wife kept throwing water at them as she watered everything else and up they come weeks and weeks later.   :)

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 04:55:39 PM »
Getting seed trays ready :)
Datura and Brugs aren't the same thing are they or are they? The Datura bloom well but I've yet to see a bloom on my Brugs. Not sure I want to mess with Brugs anymore when Datura bloom quicker. It's probably something I'm doing wrong with the Brugs but God knows I've tried to grow the danged things.
They are in the same family Kay, but here’s a tip for you and Tim on brugs.
A friend of mine with an insatiable curiosity discovered that many brugmansia are young when purchased and require a few years to develop to bloom stage.  Even more so when starting from seed.   He used to take cuttings from his brugs and wait several years for bloom but then he made a cutting of a branch tip that was actively blooming, eureka!  Now he has blooms from his cuttings by the end of the first or second year.  I’ve found the same to be fairly true with my Plumeria cuttings. (8:-)

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 05:03:43 AM »
Great tip  :) Thanks!

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 08:16:56 AM »
I've had similar experience growing Datura seed as koi boi.  It is very slow to germinate and has a pretty low germ %.  But there are usually tons of seed in each pod.  I save seed from my plants every year...even here in Iowa.  The seeds are usually tan, so they may not be mature, but they grow...eventually.  I start them in late Feb. - early March.

Possibly the problem getting Brugs to bloom is that they usually only bloom after the stems Y...or branch.  It can take a small cutting a while to reach that stage.  Even then, they bloom in flushes.  If I'm luck, I might get 2 flushes of flowers during the summer with the plant covered with huge flowers and sometimes a smaller flush in the greenhouse during the winter.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline Johns

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 10:35:49 AM »
Nice Black Currant Swirl, koi Boi,

While Brugmansia and Datura were once considered to be within the same genus, they were separated many years ago.  While both are in the family Solonaceae, they are really quite different, and crosses between them have been rare.

I had one Brugmansia flower by July 4, this year (Usually they flower in late August through frost here in zone 7a.)  I have the old fashioned white datura and the purple double (which is generally late flowering for me), and several Brugs, including  Super Nova, Charles Grimaldi, Jamaican yellow, Insignis Orange, Insignis Pink, and Ecuadorian Pink.

Daturas grow best from seeds, although I have had them come back from last years root stock.  The yellow Brugmansias are root hardy here, coming back from winter freeze down to the ground.  The pink varieties are less hardy for me.  All are easy to root from cuttings. Anyone who wishes cuttings this spring, e-mail me.  Brugs are tricky to grow from seed and are rarely true to form. 

However, most must be hand pollinated to produce seed. By the way, there is a Brugmansia/Datura society (of which I am a member) that has a wonderful website at

http://www.abads.net/abadssitemap.htm .  Membership is cheap.  You will be happy you joined.  (Give them my name as by way of introduction, they will treat you no differently than anyone else, proving that they are an egalitarian society.)

By the way:  Here is the secret on getting Brug cuttings to bloom the first year:  Brugs only bloom above the fork.  When taking cuttings, always take them from above the fork.  They will then bloom the first year, albeit above the fork.

Here are some Brug pics from my garden this year:

Super nova.

Insignis Pink

Charles Grimaldi

Wife

Wife with Super Nova and Charles Grimaldi

Ecuadorian Pink

Wife (43 years) with Insignis Pink
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:43:50 AM by Johns »

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 12:34:16 AM »
Nice Black Currant Swirl, koi Boi,

While Brugmansia and Datura were once considered to be within the same genus, they were separated many years ago.  While both are in the family Solonaceae, they are really quite different, and crosses between them have been rare.

I had one Brugmansia flower by July 4, this year (Usually they flower in late August through frost here in zone 7a.)  I have the old fashioned white datura and the purple double (which is generally late flowering for me), and several Brugs, including  Super Nova, Charles Grimaldi, Jamaican yellow, Insignis Orange, Insignis Pink, and Ecuadorian Pink.

Daturas grow best from seeds, although I have had them come back from last years root stock.  The yellow Brugmansias are root hardy here, coming back from winter freeze down to the ground.  The pink varieties are less hardy for me.  All are easy to root from cuttings. Anyone who wishes cuttings this spring, e-mail me.  Brugs are tricky to grow from seed and are rarely true to form. 

However, most must be hand pollinated to produce seed. By the way, there is a Brugmansia/Datura society (of which I am a member) that has a wonderful website at

http://www.abads.net/abadssitemap.htm .  Membership is cheap.  You will be happy you joined.  (Give them my name as by way of introduction, they will treat you no differently than anyone else, proving that they are an egalitarian society.)

By the way:  Here is the secret on getting Brug cuttings to bloom the first year:  Brugs only bloom above the fork.  When taking cuttings, always take them from above the fork.  They will then bloom the first year, albeit above the fork.

Here are some Brug pics from my garden this year:

Super nova.

Insignis Pink

Charles Grimaldi

Wife

Wife with Super Nova and Charles Grimaldi

Ecuadorian Pink

Wife (43 years) with Insignis Pink

Beg your pardon.  it's not Black Currant swirl.  Guess agian.  HINT, Check the corolla.  NOT marbled with puple, thus NO swirl.  {:-P;;

Offline Johns

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 02:04:16 PM »
Sorry, KoiBoi, must be Datura metel Cornucopea, or  Datura meteloides, or Datura fastuosa.  Easy to mistake one for the other unless one is careful.  All are very pretty.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 10:43:06 PM »
Spectacular ,Johns! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"