Author Topic: Filtration Media  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/10/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Filtration Media
« on: November 20, 2009, 04:57:09 AM »
Hi everyone, I have an existing pond and attempting to build a waterfall using a skippy filter. In researching different filter media, I have come across a product called "Air Handler" its a polyester media primarily used in paint booths. Its a fraction of the cost of "pond filter media", available in thickness' of 1/2" thru 2". Also have some koi in the pond, so dont want to harm them. Is there anyone out there that has ever used this or a similar product? Any advise?               Thanks Chuck

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Filtration Media
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 11:19:31 AM »
Never heard of it but anything can be used in your skippy that allows lots of bio bugs to form in the tiny cells. People have used, floor scrubber pads, filter media, quilt batting, kitchen scrubbies, sponge pieces, strapping, lava rock, and probably lots more things. Having used the scrubbies, which worked fine, I really prefer the floor scrubber pads. They hold up really well and are easy to shape, fit together well, and clean with a power washer. 

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:19:39 PM »
Chuck,

I believe your question is directed towards whether the material might be harmful to your fish.  I may risk being pilloried by some for the advice I am going to give you, but here's the best way to find out:  Scientific method!  This will take a couple of weeks and a little effort, but if you have nice pet fish you care about, it is the best way.  Step 1:  Obtain two small aquariums, say 10 gallons, along with separate small aquarium filters and air pumps and aeration stones (you can use one air pump to operate both filters and aerators if you choose, but the filters MUST be separate).  Step 2: Go to Wal-Mart or other store that sells “feeder” goldfish and purchase a dozen small goldies.  Step 3: Put six goldies in each aquarium.  Wait a week to be sure the fish are viable and healthy.  4: In ONE aquarium, place a sample of the filter material you intend to use.  The sample should occupy about half of the space in the aquarium.  (Hint:  be sure to rinse the material first).  Wait one week.  Note whether the fish in the test tank are as healthy as the ones in the “control” tank.  If so, you can be pretty certain that the material you want to use as media in your pond system is safe.  If the goldies are all ok, you can also let them loose in your pond as well.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 06:15:07 PM »
The commercial floor scrubber pads work well in my Skippy.  Cheap too.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"