Author Topic: I screwed up....  (Read 918 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I screwed up....
« on: November 21, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »
When I built my pond 11 years ago I installed a 150 RubberMaid stock tank that has been used as a settling chamber.   At least a year ago I decided to convert it into a skippy biofilter.  I found a supplier who said he could order the two grates but I would have to cut them to fit.  The grates and the biofilter media I ordered arrived but I was in no hurry to build the skippy.  Today I finally got around to starting.  I drained the stock tank and took measurements for the lower grate.  Having just been inside the stock tank taking the measurements I had a pretty good idea as to its length and width.  As I was pulling out the grates from where they were stored I suddenly got an uneasy feeling that they were too small......and they were.  The grates are neither long enough nor wide enough >:(

I'm to blame.  I only told the pond supplier that the grates were for the 150 gallon RubberMaid stock tank.  I didn't drain it and take measurements to confirm that the grates he was ordering would be the correct size....  ::)

Will I ever learn..... 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I screwed up....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
I used the grates width wise and spent the day trimming them until they fit.  At least I have the bottom grate done.....even if I used two of them to do it....  I'll go to HD tomorrow to get some ceiling light grating for the top and to cover the 8" gap in the middle of the bottom grate....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: I screwed up....
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
 :redface:  Sorry I was so long winded Jonna,,,but I was devastated when that happened to her fish that she loved all summer.  'Puffy' the oranda was so sweet with it's big head and tiny fins saying hello when you came to the pond.  I hope you find an answer. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"