Author Topic: I need suggestions  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I need suggestions
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »
I have a multiple level PVC plant stand in our pond that holds six pots for lilies.  I built the stand 11 years ago and used 12" X 4" X 1/2" redwood boards as a solid platform on which to sit the pots.  I zip-tied the boards to the stand.  After 11 years of service those boards are completely falling apart.

I want to use a material other than wood to rebuild the shelving.  I'm looking for a rigid vinyl, plastic or similar material.  I walked through HD yesterday looking for material and saw plastic and fiberglass corrugated roofing panels.  However they would have to be doubled up to make them rigid enough but I don't like the ripples in the material as that would not be stable.  They also had clear plastic-like material (I forget what it's called) but it would also have to be doubled up to make it rigid enough and it was too pricey, some $40+ for a small sheet.

Any suggestions?  Thanks, Mike
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »
why not buy one of those fake wood planks like they use for decking?  They're not exactly cheap, but will last a lifetime as they don't rot and are impervious to termites, weather, etc.

**edit**
I have a piece that's 4.5' x 5", about a half inch thick.  You can have it...I'll be in Long Reach on December 5th (Saturday), if you want it I can bring it with me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:21:51 PM by Blind 'Too »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »
Thanks Michael.  I hadn't thought of that material.  Do they sell it at HD?  I would like to check it out.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:58:18 PM »
absolutely at home depot. as long as 16 feet too.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 05:35:56 PM »
Yeppirs....HD and Lowe's....
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Mackey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/10/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »
I have seen some of those fake wood planks that weather very badly the are made from ground up plastics and wood chip and some kind of glue. I would be concerned these boards are not made to be submurged. These board may just fall apart after a while I bet the red wood would out last these composite boards. Maybe try to find some of the plastic book shelves like college students might use in their dorms. Cheap and should not be to hard to find.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 06:58:11 PM »
Here's another approach:  Find some of those old stackable plastic milk crates and build your entire plant stand out of them, attaching them together with cable ties.  You can assemble them upside down or right side up, or mix them however you need to.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:00:34 PM by Johns »

Offline scokaw

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2007
    • View Profile
    • SnL Aquatics
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 11:26:29 AM »
I use Corian, the countertop material.  I attach them to the pvc frames with stainless steel screws and they last longer than the pvc.  My friend has a countertop business so I get the scrap pieces for free.  If you have a countertop/cabinet shop in your area, check with them.  Most of them just toss it after a while or you might be able to get a good price.

It's basically hard dense plastic, so any kind of saw with a fine tooth blade can cut it.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
Interesting!  I work at a granite shop, so I can get that too and save space in the dumpster.  Great idea.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »
Flagstone?  It may be pricey, but it looks great. 
Alfonso

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »
There is an industrial material that I got a piece from a company that I worked for several years ago. It is similar to Corian but it may be cheaper or you might get scraps for free. The name of the product is called Tivar and comes in many thicknesses and a few different colors. I have a piece now that is 3/4" thick that I'm using as a table top that's white. I use to have another piece that I used for a workbench top and was blue and 2" thick. The thinnest that I've seen it was 1/8". I just remembered that I had some small pieces that were green. I may still have them, not sure.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »
Could you use a series of PVC pipes?   

I use Johns's idea - the milk crates - with holes cut out so the fish can swim into and through them.  Good hiding places from the herons.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 10:06:01 PM »
Could you use a series of PVC pipes?   

I use Johns's idea - the milk crates - with holes cut out so the fish can swim into and through them.  Good hiding places from the herons.

Do they make a milk crate that is over 7 feet long?  lol

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »
For sure this caught my eye when I heard PVC. LOL. HMM, good suggestions above. Can't think of anything better. Would probably wander around a bit at HD etc. What about the grids for the dropped lights? Too brittle and not strong enough maybe. Hey, Gene used to have grids they cut for the Skippys that was stronger than the HD grids and they were a kid of stiff hard rubber stuff. My stepdaughter bought them. I'll see if I can find a link.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 09:17:15 PM »
Esther: I bought some of those grids for the skippy.  They are too expensive to use as shelving and actually still a little too flexible.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
I use the milk crates. They also make wonderful little hiding places for the fish. If the fish get big, the holes can be enlarged.

I also use bread trays. Those you often see stacked up outside grocery stores or gas stations. If you drive up at the right time, the bread truck driver MIGHT sell you a black one for 5 bucks or so. I bought one at a garage sale and have been using it in the skippy for at least 5 years. They hold up well and are easily cut with a sawzall.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"