Author Topic: question on weather i should put a heater in my aquarium for my new koi  (Read 2433 times)

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
well i just got 3 koi... and untill they get big enough im going to keep them inside... but the question i have is should i put a heater in the tank?... the water is 64 degrees....  oh and the one koi dont have scales, i have read online that some dont... i picked him out cause he looks cool lol and was very active.    like i said before once they are big enough they are going into my pond i got.   and if anyone has any imput on what i should do about my natural pond or the stuff i got inside the house   im more then willing to listen since im new at this .  i just want the fish to be happy :)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: question on weather i should put a heater in my aquarium for my new koi
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Chip - the fish you got are bait. I know you think that they are cute, and am glad you are giving them a good home. The fancy koi are not for everyone... :)
If you want bigger bait, warm them and feed them all winter.

We did an experiment like that several years ago. Control group in the pond, subject to cold and reduction in food/feeding during the cold. Heater/eaters in a heated pond and fed heavily all winter.
We got explosive growth in the heater/eaters... but they seemed to be less resistant to disease in the following years than their siblings.

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:50:49 AM »
ummm ..... so i guess since i didnt spend 1000s of dollars on my koi there just bait?   maybe im not seeing something u are lol

Offline ChrisAZPonds

• Members
  • With us since: 12/01/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
If where you have the fish house for the winter is around 40'f, your not going to need a heater. UNLESS, you are planning on feeding them so that you can speed up their growth rate over winter. If thats the case, I suggest a reliable aquarium heater that is heavy duty (but affordable). One of my favorites is made by Hydrofarm and it is made out of titanium. Sound expensive...but you can pick up a 350 watt unit for $30! I would suggest that you keep the temp around 68'f to 70'f and I would also advise taht you use a reliable aquarium filter, like a Fluval as well as a biological additive, like Green Clean's Xtreme Bacteria. Also, get a cheap test kit (or have a local aquarium store) test your water to make sure everything is okay. Good Luck:-)  Chris@AZPONDS

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 03:57:45 PM »
Chip,

Maybe I missed something, but what makes expensive koi,........... bait? Bait for what? I don't have koi, and I don't have that kind of money to spend on expensive fish. My pond fish are seven 7" to 9" colorful shubunkins in a 365 gallon pond.

I'm not an expert here, but your koi will eat and grow well during the remaining winter months if the aqaurium water they are in is at room temperature. I've been breeding and raising tropical fish for thirty years, and into ponding for twelve. I'm only a novice when it comes to giving pond advice. I wish you the best with your new koi.

Happy ponding,

Rich  :thinking:
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
thanks for the input  :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"