Author Topic: Wow! No photos - but wanted to share  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wow! No photos - but wanted to share
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »
Saw an amazing hawish thing today.

Been planting trees - becuz Jerry is coming to visit.  o(:-) And becuz it needed doing anyway.
So noonish I took a break and came inside for a coke and a sandwich. Sitting at the dining room table, looking at the backyard...

The chickens were out because its the weekend (meaning if they don't go back into the coop I have time to chase them down and catch them, and throw them in the coop) and its a beautiful spring day.
I see this smallish hawk flying low over the back pasture. Its too little to pick up a chicken, but its pretty, and I'm watching it.
It comes over the chicken coop - and BAM! splashes in the pond. It carries away a small bullfrog.
I had seen the two big eyes peeking out of the water - apparently, so did the hawk.

Amazing agility in the air.
Wish I had a camera prepared to catch that stuff. :)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Wow! No photos - but wanted to share
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
They ARE amazing.  I am in awe of their patience, agility, and power.  We have many red tailed hawks, but have smaller ones haunting the bird feeders.  I can't seem to get a good id on the smaller ones,,,none of my bird books really nails it, though I think it could be sharp-shinned hawk.   8)

Poor froggie!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
WOW that would have been exciting. It's always fun to watch nature in action.

We were coming home yesterday and had just crossed a river when it has turned a corner and is real wide. It was about half frozen across and standing there near the edge of of the ice was an eagle with what looked like a fish freshly caught. We have begun seeing more and more eagles around this area near the river for maybe around the last 10 years. Never ever saw any prior to that.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:20:04 PM »
Lucky you!  Very cool to see nature in action!  Lucky the chickens were not the target....that would make me not happy with nature.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"