Author Topic: parasites  (Read 890 times)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
parasites
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
well the ice is thawing and unfortunately for you kind folks i'm back . last fall the pond had [apparently] parasites and this is something i'd not encountered before . we lost a few comets and bought some food to prevent parasites . however , our parasites appeared to be external rather than internal and i'm doubtful as to the effect of the food . i don't want to battle this all year does someone know a correct solution to this problem . i read somewhere that this might have been caused by some frogs which appeared and spent the summer with us , thoughts on that please . the pond at our previous house had neither frogs or parasites . incidentally , i just removed a dead fish which i suspect went into winter stressed by the parasites . by the way, do i need to buy a special food for the spring and chilly water . as always thanks for your expertise . . .peace

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: parasites
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 01:54:08 PM »
Vetts, can you give us a little more information?  Have you seen something, or do you simply suspect there are parasites?  if you can see something, can you describe it?  In the water or on the fish?  A growth or an actual living organism attached to the fish?  Color?  Shape?  Size?

I'm sure that, with enough info, someone here will be able to diagnose for you.

Regarding food, yes, they do sell special "winter" and "summer" feed formulas.  The summer food has less carbohydrate content, and us used when the water warms up. 

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:25:07 AM »
no , i haven't seen the parasites, i assumed they were microscopic . the fish got open sores about 1/4 inch in size and would act like they were trying to rub them selves on pond bottom . this morning there is a second dead fish ,probably not recent but just noticed as more ice has melted . i'm tempted to throw in about a thousand pennies as the copper leaching from them might solve the problem .

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:53:03 AM »
Maybe you can edit the title of this post, to see if you attract more views.... "Fish with Open Sores - Need Help!" may attract someone who is knowledgeable.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"