Author Topic: two questions  (Read 1152 times)

Offline andi_mn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
two questions
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:33:09 AM »
hi all from minnesota!  well, very early spring here. pond is empty, waiting for me to get out there and clean up between the rocks a bit. i think we are going to get it going early this year and put the fish out sooner than usual. they have been in the basement since november.  wondering...what is your favorite planter for waterlilies?
and ...how many of you have raised lily ponds? like kats'...how deep are your raised ponds?  ahhh, you can see it coming cant you? i want more lilies. (dh does not know about this project yet)  happy spring to everyone! andi

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: two questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »
I just measured mine today. We are trying to make sure we had it measured right for dosage. 14.5 feet by 6 feet by 16 in deep.

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
All of mine are raised timber ponds like kats averaging at 10ftx6ft and 15in tall

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:31:24 PM »
I have several large container ponds. A 4x4'x11.5" deep trough, a 4x8'x12" deep trough, a 3x4'x12" deep plant filter trough, a 4x10'x27" deep fish trough, a 6' diameter x 2' deep metal stock tank, and a 9' diameter x 28" deep poly stock tank. I also have three kiddie pools and other various small containers.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
Favorite planter for hardies is 2 gal squat pot w holes drilled into bottom lined w newspaper just to contain the soil long enough that the plant can form a root ball eventually roots will come out to get nutrients from bottom of pond... And w tropicals I like same pot... But w the ones I sell and trade they are usually in couple quart nursery pots so they won't get tooo massive for shipping and they do great as their growth is vertical opposed to hardies who need to be planted at a horizontal angle

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 05:24:54 AM »
I've found tropicals do best with holes in their pots (line with newspaper at first planting to prevent dirt loss until roots form like Michelle mentions).  Most hardies will also do fine in dishpan like containers.  Round is probably better as the growing tip will sometime crunch up in corners.  If you've got a particularly stubborn hardy, try growing in a mesh lily basket lined with fabric weed block as the soil will breathe.  This makes the lily grow faster.  If I recall right an article in Victoria Adventure recommended just poking holes in the dishpans make the lilies happier.  My landscape timber ponds are 15-18" deep.  The water gets quite warm in them in the summer, so they are great for tropicals.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 07:26:27 AM »
Last year I tried the fabric pots. I really like them. Heavy tho if you are usig the largest size.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"