Author Topic: Heron alert  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Heron alert
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »
An unwelcome pest showed up today.  I'm sure I've got goldfish missing.  Put up more fishing line & will have to try & cover some of my other ponds.  I scared it enough that it went up on the roof & was watching me.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:23:57 AM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Heron alert
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »
oh man, i dont have anything like that here i guess its a blessing, but it looks really pretty considering i havent experienced the aftermath

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
have one thats been here afew times also. It got one of my fishies.  I covered with net also. Its been back but the dogs scared it off.. not sure if it would have tried to go through the netting or not.

tink

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »
oh man, i dont have anything like that here i guess its a blessing, but it looks really pretty considering i havent experienced the aftermath

Michelle, you left out a word. You should have said,"i dont have anything like that here yet. Now you have cursed yourself. ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 09:36:03 PM »
Um Kat---are you sure that was a heron??? >:(- Maybe it was just delivering a baby!!!  lol

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:51:54 AM »
Yep, if not this pest than other pests  :(

Esther--no baby delivery here as I'm too OLD for that, LOL.  But I guess this means trying to save the goldfish eggs again to replace the fish I lost.
Kat

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:31:52 AM »
EEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!  Get outta Kat's ponds!    >:(-  Sorry it got some of your fishies  :'(

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
Well, this heron has been particularly aggressive in coming back to the ponds.  I put fishing line around & over my 8x8 pond & it is keeping the nasty bird out of that one.  Put trellis sheets over my stock tank ponds but the heron will now stand/sit on top of the trellis to watch for the fish  >:(-

Today I spent 5 hours in the rain draining & cleaning 5 stock tanks with wakins/watonai from last year's spawn.  These are the best/better/keepers to raise, so that is why I'm so fustrated with the heron.  Anyways, I figured if there were no fish that the heron could get to maybe it will stop coming.  So at least it didn't get all of the fish & my not filtering my stock tank lily ponds helped hide the fish.  O0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:23:43 AM by Kat »
Kat

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »
Sorry you're having that trouble, Kat.

Some friends of mine from the Houston Pond Society, they have a smallish pond near their house, but their yard backs up to a... I guess it's a drainage ditch, or maybe just an "occasional" stream.  Anyway, they claim they never have problems with maurading water birds.

Well, Saturday at the monthly meeting, they sat sad-faced and told how they had just lost several of their precious fish, due to a heron or similar bird that had just discovered their pond.   :(

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »
Scott said what I would have YET!!!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »
Sorry you're still having problems Kat.  Your babies are very pretty though.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »
Fantastic pics Kat, even though most of us ponders hate this bird it is a reagal looker.  Those wakin/watoni are very cute, nice group.  Thought I saw one flying over yesterday, but it seems early, but I'm not taking any chances. Ice has melted off my main pond and the lily/goldfish pond is half open.  Nets are up on the main pond and the open water of the lily pond.  Don't want to loose any more fish, it's bad enough I found 3 dead from the winter.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 06:11:08 AM »
I found the heron at my big pond with all my special sarassa/longfins/keepers that the fishing line had previously worked to keep the heron out.  Earlier this week I had pulled my lotus pots out of that pond in order to divide & set them outside of the ponds for the growing season.  Now that the pots are gone the bird had access to that side of the pond.  Blasted bird had squeezed himself in between the strands of fishing line & I'm sure it has gotten a lot of my fish.  Feathers & surface scum from it sticking its head into the water.  At this point I have no idea what I'm going to do other than to drain the pond & sell those fish, too.  :'( >:(-

Maybe with warmer temps I could use one of those motion water squirters hooked up to a faucet.  This has been the MOST aggressive heron that I've ever had to deal with.
Kat

Offline whiskyb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 06:39:19 AM »
I have one of the motion activated sprinklers. It seemed to work pretty well during the warmer months but as soon as I removed it for the winter this guy showed up again. Between him and the mink I am not having much fun some days >:(

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 09:35:03 AM »
Oh no, so sorry to here >:(, hope you have some survivors....is it that same male that keeps showing up.  We have so many in our area with the marshes and lakes, we tried the water sensors...works good for a while in the spring..then the plants grow up and as the wind blows it was always setting it off, and it learned where to walk to not get hit...we tried one of those floating aligators they say work, well the birds we have must not winter where there are alligators, cause they don't seem to care.  I have used nets on the ponds now for years, first thing when the ice is gone.  I don't like them but I'd rather have my fish...and after a few weeks in spring they come to realize they cant get in and there are plenty of natural areas to fish.  I do leave the nets up but when I'm home and out the nets are off till night.  I have found that the use of small like 24" shepards hooks around the pond to raise the nets up (and then the net drops to the ground) gives hieght so the bird cant walk on it or stab through it, and the taller plants can still have room to grow.  I get them at HD, they are black and like 12'x 12'
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"