Author Topic: Inherited a pond that needs help, I need help too!  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Eerkes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Inherited a pond that needs help, I need help too!
« on: March 20, 2010, 03:59:50 AM »
So our new home has a what appears to be a spring-fed swampy/bog area, with a pond about 30' in diameter below it, and a small stream running out from the pond that snakes around the back of my property.

First thing I noticed is that about 50% or more of the pond is covered in duckweed. I looked it up and it seems to be Lemna minor. Then my other concern is that there are two or three trees which have fallen into the pond, which I'm worried if I don't get out will cause problems with the balance of the pond as they decay, they are cedars btw.

I guess my questions are 1. How can I naturally discourage so much duckweed? 2. How the heck do I get rid of some fairly large cedars mostly submerged in the pond, or do I even have to?

I haven't been in the pond at all, so I'm unsure of the type of bottom I have. If it's anything like the soil around it then I'm guessing I'm going to sink in quite a bit of muck if I attempted to remove the branches from the fallen trees. I think I'm in for an adventure with this! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Inherited a pond that needs help, I need help too!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 05:55:50 AM »
What you have is a man made natural pond. I don't think the cedars will bother it. They may even help it keep from growing algae. There are a few ways to help the duckweed problem but we need to know what area or zone that you are in. Koi and goldfish will eat it. Tilapia will if you are in a warm enough area. You can even bag it up and give it away in the forums trade forum. I know that I would probably want some. The main question from us is what do you want to do to the pond? Do you want fish in it? Water lilies? Water cattle? What are your plans?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »
and wear waders!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »
welcome.... would love to see pictures of what your tlaking about and we just plain ole love photos of ponds/streams etc. :)

tink

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »
I would remove the trees if possible.  As noted above, koi will eat the duckweed.   

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:00:19 AM »
Welcome, Eerkes!

Say, did you know that PondManinAL is starting a business just to work with farm ponds?  There are lots of other very knowledgeable folk here, too.

Since you have the duckweek, it appears you don't have any fish in the pond - or maybe just not a type that eats vegetation.  Have you seen any fish?  What kind? 

I, too, agree that the rotting logs should be OK in your pond, and would even provide environment for diverse wildlife and other critters.  People do sink cedars and the like into ponds to provide cover for fish.  Not very attractive, though.  I can't think of any way to get them out other than a truck and a strong chain or rope.  And how you're going to get the rope around the tree, that - well, for that we WOULD like to see photos of how THAT operation goes!   ;D   

It's good to have you here.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:32:45 AM »
If there is a stream leaving the pond, I get the impression there isn't fish. If there's no fish, then do we worry about PH? As for the trees, unless you want it to look nicer, why move the trees? Nature's wild ponds often have fallen trees. Where else will the turtles bask?  But what do I know? Yah, what is your dream about this pond? Maybe you just don't like the look of the duckweed. From what I understand, when it is happy, it grows like the weed it is. HMMM, depth and bottom. I bet it's mucky. Don't mess around in it without someone close by until you learn it's composition. Keep us posted as most of us don't have natural ponds and find this subject interesting because it's different than what we have.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:01:34 PM »
I'm with Johns, remove the trees.  Fish will take care of the duckweed, or you can just net it out and give it (or sell) away.  My biggest question about your pond is what are your plans for it?  Is it just for viewing enjoyment, big enough for recreation, or is it just a swampy area and how deep do you think it is? 

You could probably hire someone to remove those cedars with the right machinery, or you could rent it and do it yourself, if you are handy that way.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"