Author Topic: Adding generous AP member plants to the koi pond  (Read 1062 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Adding generous AP member plants to the koi pond
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:06:58 PM »
Well I use to have lots of plants in my koi pond but last summer I decided I couldn't handle the mess - koi enhanced of course.  The water and koi were not happy causing havoc with my water parameters. So after much $$ spent on clearing up the water I have decided to add plants to the corners in a small bog-like setting.

I have received many plants from generous AP members which I put into the small bog, like Black Taro, and Green Goddess Calla Lily.  I purchased some throw away plants from a local nursery for dirt cheap last fall, like the Black Gamecock Louisiana Iris, White Louisiana Iris, Canna 'Pretoria', and Acorus Gramineus Ogen (Golden Variegated Sweet Flag).

o( Here are photos of my bog collection -
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:09:05 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Adding generous AP member plants to the koi pond
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »
For the two floating planters I have Parrot's Feather, Fairy Moss, Azolla, Duckweed, Water Hyacinth, Floating Hearts, and Four Leaf Water Clover.  All these plants, besides the Water Hyacinth (store bought), are from AP members. 

o( Here are photos of the floating planters - Do you like my homemade dirt free floaters?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:11:06 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Hey, those look familiar!   @O@  Looking great.  I may have to beg a piece of the clover - I'm not sure if mine made it yet. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:44:36 PM »
BEAUTIFUL, Annette!!  It's starting to warm up here and my pond is definitely waking up.  Still too early for floaters here tho'.   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
Your corner bog is very pretty.

emm

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 06:04:34 PM »
Thank you Katfish!  I really wish I recorded who sent me what but I'm pretty sure you sent the Green Goddess Calla lily, Four Leaf Clover, and Floating Heart.  They made it though winter here...so far.  Our weather is weird these days.  Hot one day cold the next.

Thanks LuAnn, glad to hear you're warming up.

Thank you Emm, I would like to get my Sarracenia plants in there some how with out the koi getting into it.  I need to find another 1/4 pie shaped basket for another corner of the pond.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"