Author Topic: How to Repair Gate Valve?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How to Repair Gate Valve?
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
I have a 3" Valterra stainless steel gate valve buried 2' down with an arm-sized access pipe between pond and vortex. When I opened it this season I couldn't close it. Then I pumped the handle repeatedly, cursed at it loudly, walked away, came back, repeated process. It closed. Now it won't open.

I have not excavated to reach the valve since I figure it is pointless until I have some clue as to what I am going to do when I get there. (And maybe have a backup valve at the ready.) Valterra boasts about how easy it is to repair their gate valves but I don't see any instructions on how to do that nor do I see any gate valve parts for sale. One of the marketing points is that it can be repaired in situ but I don't understand how that is possible when the 3" pipe is slip both sides.

Any suggestions?

Offline bulldog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/04/2009
    • View Profile
Re: How to Repair Gate Valve?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:30:01 PM »
will have to dig down to it. from there you should see some bolts and nuts remove do not lose from there you should be able to pull apart. should have two o-rings check to make sure not cut or damaged if ok get so plumers grease lube o-rings put back together as it came apart if o-rings are damaged replace with new ones should be able to get at a plumbers supply store.

Hope this helps

Bulldog

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    • View Profile
Re: How to Repair Gate Valve?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:03:46 AM »
Thanks, Bullfrog. It sounds like I should buy a back up gate in case it's unfixable. (Maybe I can swap out parts so I don't have to cut the PVC pipe.)

I see pond draining in my future followed a month later by a crippling water bill. (Better get that 1500 gallon swimming pool set up.) We had an epic-worthy Attack of the Acorns last fall -- had to wear a bike helmet or they drew blood -- and I suspect they damaged the paddle. Might as well replace the clogged diffuser disc on the bottom drain when the pond is empty. And find the leak between the vortex and the pump. And the skimmer and the waterfalls. It never ends.

I hate this. Sure, I thought there would be maintenance but after more than a year of pond rebuild and five digits of dough, I thought I could go a season or two without major repairs. I'm still waiting for the part where I get to sit on the deck watching the koi while holding a glass of Shiraz with manicured nails. I want to see all not sawzall, wine not whine.  :'(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"