Author Topic: Does Oak Tree Pollen Hurt Fish?  (Read 954 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Does Oak Tree Pollen Hurt Fish?
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »
Just wondering, 'cause I've lost three fish in the space of two days.

One was a large goldie, several years old, who was still alive, floating on his side right after I changed the water. (He lives in the turtle pond, which gets drained and refilled each Sunday.)  It's possible that he was trapped somewhere and I didn't fish him out, and then when the pond refilled with chlorinated water, he got hurt by the chlorine.  But I don't think so.  I think I had him in the holding tank with the other fish while I changed the pond water.  Anyway, when I saw him on his side, I scooped him out and put him in the koi pond, but he didn't revive.

Number 2 was found floating dead in the koi pond this morning, after a partial (10%) water change yesterday.  I did not add de-chlor, but it was only about 10%, and I have never had a problem before.  After the water change, later in the day, I did notice many of the fish at the water's surface, not gasping or anything like that, but it was a little odd for them to be hanging out just below the surface.

This one was several years old, and about 6" long.  Oddly enough, I've been trying to cull out the ugly white and black koi - he was the white and black one I wanted to KEEP!

Number 3 was a small fantail goldie I've had only a couple of months.  Was found still alive on top of a lily pad, in a tiny puddle of water, one gill in water and one gill out.  I put her back in the pond, but she doesn't appear to be reviving. 

Besides the partial water change, the only new factor is the massive amount of oak pollen falling everywhere, including my pond. 

Do you think that has anything to do with these sudden deaths of perfectly healthy fish?

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Does Oak Tree Pollen Hurt Fish?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:39:40 PM »
I am sorry for your fish loss. I hate it when things like that happen. I have had the same type of pollen falling but both ponds are netted. The lily pond that had all the fish loss has four new comets in it and all have survived the last week of pollen. It looks like the pollen has quit and I have been skimming off the top what I find.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"