Author Topic: goldfish  (Read 1182 times)

Offline theresabeard57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/04/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
goldfish
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »
I have a koi pond with goldfish in it.  My fish are staying at the top of the water. help o(

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: goldfish
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
sounds like they may need more oxygen..I'd start first by either adding another pump and place it where it just bubbles at the top of the water surface or add an air stone.... sounds like gill problems....have you added any chemicals to the pond? added any new fish?
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 02:01:06 PM »
I agree with tranquility, sounds like gill problems, which could mean a lot of things.  I would be helpful also to know where you are located.  I don't think it would hurt to add water to your pond and more oxygen. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:22:25 AM »
Are your fish gasping for air, or just hanging beneath the surface?  If they're gasping, then it's most likely a serious problem - either lack of oxygen or perhaps dirty or chemically-maladjusted water.

After a 20% or so water change last week, my fish spent some time hanging at the surface.  Not gasping and not appearing to be in distress, but just hanging below the surface.  The next day, they were back down where they usually are. 

I don't know why they were at the surface... Perhaps the new water hurt them... I didn't use de-chlor because 20% wasn't much new water.  But maybe there was enough chlorine to hurt the fish's gills.  Or maybe they were just eating something that was at the top of the water. 

I did end up with one fish dead, for no apparent reason.

Offline PHYLAL

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »
Are your fish gasping for air, or just hanging beneath the surface?  If they're gasping, then it's most likely a serious problem - either lack of oxygen or perhaps dirty or chemically-maladjusted water.

After a 20% or so water change last week, my fish spent some time hanging at the surface.  Not gasping and not appearing to be in distress, but just hanging below the surface.  The next day, they were back down where they usually are. 

I don't know why they were at the surface... Perhaps the new water hurt them... I didn't use de-chlor because 20% wasn't much new water.  But maybe there was enough chlorine to hurt the fish's gills.  Or maybe they were just eating something that was at the top of the water. 

Yes, if they are gasping for air, there is an oxygen problem.  Or it could be something in the water that irritates them.  If it is only a temporary thing it could be as simple as that is where the water is the warmest in the spring (you did not say what part of the United States you hail from.  Here is hoping it is the latter.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:35:27 PM »
If your fish are gasping for air at the surface a very quick and temporary first aid is to dump in a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.  A longer term solution would, of course, be to reduce the livestock or increase aeration.  When oxygen is a problem in a pond, the largest fish die first.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"