Author Topic: ok, having a go a koi hehe  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
ok, having a go a koi hehe
« on: March 12, 2010, 04:32:21 PM »
i know i dont have any ponds big enough for koi (yet) but i've had these babies for a year now, today i just pulled them out of one of the preforms as there was so much alge in the bottom from decomposing winter crap i couldnt even see how they could swim around.

i dont know much about koi, as i'm a plant person, i do know i want some wakin this year.. but what do you think about my kiddos. i dont know if they are good looking or even what they are called otehr than one is a koi.. and the other two are butterfly lol. i know i'm supposed to feed them special stuff since they havent eaten all winter but closest pond store didnt have anything like that... so just making sure regular koi food will work. and i dont think they grew very much this past year, so wondering if they will grow this year... and i really want to get them to learn to feed from my hand rather than hiding until the coast is clear to eat... since i just now got them food ive been throwing baby snails in there.. and it LOOKED like they were eating..

iddk just looking for some most important facts that everyone wish they had when they first got koi hehe.
do mine have a certain name?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ok, having a go a koi hehe
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:31:01 AM »
Michelle, if your water temperatures are above 50°F, then you can feed them a little of the regular koi food. The rule of koi is: the more you feed them, the bigger they get, not all at once though. Those are three nice fish but I like regular fins and long fins, not butterflies :). I had a nice longfin that died while I was getting everything ready to move. :(

If you put a good size plant filter on their pond, you will have a good place to boost marginals.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:31:04 PM »
Plant person too.  The %$#%$ Koi will play havoc with your plants. :'( :'(

There are things you can do, some may even work!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:36:50 PM »
The little black and white koi could be called a "shiro utsuri".

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"