Author Topic: De-Icer  (Read 2304 times)

Offline PHYLAL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
De-Icer
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »
  Now that the snow and ice are gone, I thought I would tell you how my DIY de-icer worked this past winter.
  I bought a small water pump designed for a pond fountain; about 190 gph.  I “borrowed” an old Tupperware bowl from my wife.  I drilled a hole in the lid for the out-flow of the pump and several smaller holes for wire-ties and attached the pump to the lid.  I then skeletonized the bowl part, cutting large “V” shaped holes in it.  I removed the small useless foam filter from the pump (it would clog in about three days), snapped the lid (with the pump attached) onto the bowl, and slid the assembly into an old panty hose leg (takes the place of the filter), cutting a small hole when the out-flow is.  I set the pump and new filter assembly in the pond with the out-flow about four to six inches from the surface; just close enough to keep the water “rolling”.  While there was six to eight inches of ice on the rest of the pond, this kept a large hole open all winter (except when the 2 plus feet of snow drifted it shut). 
The pump only draws 21 watts of power, as opposed to the floating heater type de-icers that draw 200 watts and up (and, by the way, did not work as well).

Offline trish

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: De-Icer
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 07:51:11 AM »
This sounds like a great idea and very economical.  Do you have any pictures of your project and what part of the US are you in? 

Offline fishegg

• Members
  • With us since: 29/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: De-Icer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:32:17 AM »
yes, pictures would be great, still wondering about de-icing tasks for my first winter
Erik

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"