Author Topic: More string algae  (Read 846 times)

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
More string algae
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:02:50 AM »
After writing to you all for advice on my massive amounts of string algae I have reached a conclusion.  I spent money on many, many things to treat the water with, and lightened my wallet significantly, and in the end, it all boiled back down to the good old toilet scrub brush.  I crawled all over in the falls and pond, scrubbing like a maniac and I'd let it filter and I'd take the filter out and clean it down, and repeated this over and over until I had nice, crystal clean water once more.  I never paid a dime for the "elbow grease" I used and a small amount for my handy, dandy brush.  I do intend to get a hard bristle brush with a long handle that I can just reach acrossed and around with and continue on with the scrubbing when needed.  Thanks for all the advice.  Pond is coming along much nicer now. Jax
Jax

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: More string algae
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:10:34 AM »
Yup, me too back 7 years ago. I let the stuff go waaaaay too long before I tackled it and tried various stuff in the meantime. When I discovered the big koi were actually making tunnels and struggling to get around, we put a 5 gallon bucket on the "shore" and got in the pond and that's where I learned the "Twirl and Hurl". We'd reach down with our fingers spread apart, twirl our hands around at the bottom and tangle as much SA as possible around our fingers. Then we'd peel it off and wring out the water and hurl the resulting ball into the bucket. We got well over a bucket full. After that I don't remember what happened. Maybe by that time the lilies had grown enough or I used barley straw + a chemical. I don't know but I did learn-----don't let it go thinking it will go away. I swear the way it was going if we hadn't cleaned it out, it would have become a solid mass.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: More string algae
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:17:01 AM »
Shade works too, but has some drawbacks
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"