Author Topic: My version of a jap. maple.. its blooming, thanks Joyce!  (Read 5000 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My version of a jap. maple.. its blooming, thanks Joyce!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »
Jerry - you are correct about the humidity!  It has been just awful this past week - they keep forcasting rain but it never materializes here for us!

I was not aware of this bush until I saw your post.  I think it's beautiful, both the Black Beauty and the Black Lace.  I am going to have to go out on a mission and find one of those.  There was something kind of like that in Conneticut.  It was called a lace capped hydranga and it had all those flowers in a cluster of each individual bloom.  The hydranga here bloom in one big ball, different colors depending on the acidity of the soil.  I like the new England version more and brought one back but it isn't doing well.  Going to keep feeding it and trying to make it happy.  I sure could find a place real quick if I find one of your type bushes.

jax - I have a few lace capped hydrangeas also - have had them for many years but I had them in too much sun and they were just "ok" - last summer I moved them to the front of the house that only gets morning sun and they are full of buds already - very early!  I will take pictures when they are in full bloom.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »
It is the humidity that the plants love.  I will be careful what I wish for!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 09:46:58 PM »
beautiful pics!  Cant wait till mine looks like your alls.

Joyce.. I bought the sutherland gold on ebay to go with mine but it didnt do to well here then finally died.. think it had to much sun.  Gonna try again though or something yellow with mine this time.

tink

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
I'm going to go looking for one of these bushes.  I have some good greenhouses and landscaping businesses around here.  I just love it.  Maybe my lace capped hydranga get's too much sun.  Must go look at that and maybe have to move it before it's a total goner.  I have other hydranga's around the house but they seem more shaded.  Hope I can get it going.  I had never seen the lace capped one's for sale around here and I wasn't planning another trip to New England in the near future.  We had plants shoved into the van along with suitcases, shopping bags and anything else we could push in after that trip.  It was a good one.
Jax

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 11:38:58 AM »
Hydrangea macrophyllas of which lace cap varieties are part aren't very hardy and in general, never want full sun. Many hydrangeas bloom on old growth only and never bloom if they get too much frost damage. The new ones that bloom on old and new growth are supposed to correct this problem. 'Twist and Shout' is the new lace cap in the same series as 'Endless Summer' which is commonly available and blooms on new wood too.

Both elderberries (Sambucas) and ninebarks (Physocarpus) are now available with great foliage colors. Sadly they all get far too big for my yard. I've been seeing them all over on recent garden tours at eight to twelve feet tall and wide and bigger.
'Coppertina' ninebark is stunning!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »
LeeAnne, to be precise the spelling is Sambucus unless you are drinking Sambuca.  ;)

I just bought a Coppertina Ninebark.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"