Author Topic: Goldfish  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Goldfish
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:33:29 AM »
I have three goldfish in our little pond put there to take care of the mosquitoes. One is a little larger than the other two but all are little, maybe last year's feeder fish or the year before. This morning I go out there to feed them and they are crashing into each other in a lily pot and while I watch, the two littler ones are chasing the bigger one against the rocks....Aren't these guys a little young for that activity?

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Goldfish
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 07:35:58 AM »
 lol  Evidently not, but even if they were, who is going to tell them?  lol

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »
Nope, they start early  :o ;) :)
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 09:02:23 AM »
When my SIL and DD helped me clean the rest of the tanks and sort last years babies, we placed 6 orange and whites in the 160 gallon tank with my new Perry's Baby Red.  They have been caught doing the chase several times since the water finally cleared up.  Apparently not too young.  I've raised babies from 1 year olds before.   >:(

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:32:59 AM »
Lol Frank and the rest. Mercy just what I need. Babies there too.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 01:11:10 PM »
I am afraid to add a playmate to my water container where mister goldfish has been residing outside (in florida) unharmed for about 2 yrs now, eating algae and whatever else.  I am amazed that he survived the two winters and the summers.  It was sort of a test to see if it would work without filtration.  But, I do have plants in there for him and them to do the air exchange.  I had to seperate him from his buddy when I first started because they were fighting. He got lucky.The one that got to stay in the 35 gallon preform was "picked out" by a red-tail hawk last year. 

I am not sure what to do if I add some of my Dad's fancy goldfish and they have babies.  Plus I don't know if they are as self sufficient as the regular goldfish as he feeds his on a timer. I already don't know what to do with the gazillion toadpoles out there in the other tubs. o(
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »
Sorry about the hawk.  I've had one roosting in a tree in the back yard for several years and have never lost any fish even the winter.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »
Do you know if the gazillian tadpoled are frogpoles or toadpoles. We have a gazillian toadpoles but as soon as they morph and get legs, they crawl out and leave. If they are frogs, won't they get eaten?

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
Do you know if the gazillian tadpoled are frogpoles or toadpoles. We have a gazillian toadpoles but as soon as they morph and get legs, they crawl out and leave. If they are frogs, won't they get eaten?

Definitely toadpoles...saw them mating one morning...all 3 couples (gross)...

the eggs are strung out like black beads on a necklace and they purposely intertwine them in the parrots feather and other stuff so that they are hard to remove from the pond.

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »
Yah here too. WE had a gazillion toadpoles on the pool cover but it got hot here so quick, DH pumped the water off to open the pool and there went one gazillion. But we still have a lot in both the ponds, two pots and a preform. That should be enough.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"