Author Topic: Pond Gold Fish for Sale  (Read 1148 times)

Offline mceelstoen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond Gold Fish for Sale
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I hope you all can help me out.  My husband and I put in a pond about a year and a half ago.  We started out with 3 gold fish and now we have about 50 that are 4-6 inches long that we need to find new homes for.  Our pond is getting too full and we cannot afford to upgrade it.  Any information on who to contact to sell these fish would be most welcome. 

We live in Saint Helens, Oregon, so anything near here would be best for us and the fish. 

We also have a pond in the backyard with KOI.  But they are all dying off.  We have them covered so that the neighborhood cats and coons don't get them.  We started out with 3 females and 2 males, we only have 1 of each left.  There is nothing hanging over the pond that would cause harm to the fish.  We are coming up against a brick wall here.  We would like to figure out why our fish are dying, before it's too late. 

Thank You!
Mary   

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond Gold Fish for Sale
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
Mary, call your local pet store or pond place. They might take them off your hands or know of somebody with a new pond wanting fish. Do you have Craig's list there? Try a free offer. People use them for feeder fish too.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »
I agree.  Craig's List, or you can try hotels or subdivisions that have large bodies of water, like ponds.

Re the fish dying off, perhaps your water quality?  Have you tested it?  PH, nitrates/nitrites/amonia, etc. can all effect the health of the fish. 

Do you have a filter?  Clean water is important for healthy fish. 

Oh, and WELCOME to the forum!  Glad to have you here!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:05:53 AM »
yep what Esther and Julles said......I give mine to local garden centers that have pond displays also, the local  pond place I do business with trades me goods sometimes depending on the size, they use them as freebies for new ponders.  If you don't want people coming to your house for a craigslist listing, meet them elsewhere with the fish.
as for the problem with the koi, if it is not predetor related, yes check the water chemistry....if you are on city water make sure you are using a dechlor.  If you use chemicals in your pond or around it that could be a problem also, even an algacide or flocculant/clarifier, they can deplete the O2 in your water.  Chemicals near the pond can leech in with heavy rains.  check your KH also, if it is high that is good it will reduce your chances of major PH swings during heavy rains/snow/ice.  PH swings can be fatal, as can high ammonia and nitrates and nitrites
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Another thing----if you know somebody with a farm that has a swamp. I had a bunch to give to a farm swam/pond a while back, with their permission of course.

Offline labs2006

• Members
  • With us since: 27/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »
You could also try  www.freecycle.org , if they are in your area you could give them away. It's a really neat web site. Good luck. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"