Author Topic: Yellow Flag Iris Bloom Season?  (Read 815 times)

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Yellow Flag Iris Bloom Season?
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
After years of foreplay, my massive yellow flag iris finally put out, but I think it's about ready to rollover and start snoring. Does it bloom throughout the season (in the north) or is this it?

After years of 3-4' foliage and only one flower last year, it was scheduled for a late May execution. On the way across the pond in waders and hedge clippers to do the deed, I saw at least 40 buds. The blooms the past couple of weeks were impressive but I'm not sure two weeks of color compensates for 4 months of nothing but much-too-tall greens dominating the pond. (Plus I question whether flukes are able to hide in the roots and gravel untouched by prazi.)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Flag Iris Bloom Season?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »
Iris are lovely when in bloom but like you are finding, they don't do much else the rest of the season other than providing a tall accent to the pond.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Flag Iris Bloom Season?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »
good question about the prazi--I know that mulm  can affect the effectiveness on some meds...but, not sure if Prazi does and the pond I just treated was plant free...I do know it stays in the water for up to 7 days...so it just seems to me that in those 7 days that the meds would reach every crevice of the pond including the roots...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"