Author Topic: Hurricane weather  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hurricane weather
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:00:37 PM »
South Texas has its fair share and then some of unbearably hot weather.
Its not the thermometer - only 90 to 92 F, but the combination of hot, humid, and no breeze.
You go outside and the air slaps you in the face. People who wear glasses, the lenses immediately fog. Its so still, you could "whistle Dixie" and be heard for a mile.  {:-P;;

Its a little early for this. Usually this kind of weather doesn't set in until July, August and September.
 :o
You start wishing for a hurricane, just so you can get a little rain...

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Hurricane weather
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:07:34 PM »
We've been having unusually hot weather too for NY in June.
And humid, and no rain for a while, almost a drought.
We've been running the sprinkler system every day for 2 weeks. Just sooo dry.
Then today we had lines of tstorms pass through.
Of course dumped rain everywhere but here.
And now its windy and getting down into the mid 50s.  :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »
Horribly hot here too and way too early.  My coneflowers are starting to bloom and the hostas are starting to send up flower stalks--usually doesn't happen until July sometime.  We had t-storms pass thru here last night and cooled everything off to the mid 50's tonight (what a relief!) and the temps will be in the 70's for the next few days!!   @O@
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 06:30:53 AM »
It was 55 and windy when I woke up this morning and still in the upper 50s and breezy. Windchill feels like the 40s.
I have on corduroy jeans, long sleeved tshirt and a medium weight cotton sweater on now, here at work.
Did crack my office windows open because the office temps were in the high 70s because the air was off all weekend.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:28:20 AM »
If we had a 50 to 60 ish day.... I could do so much!
Right now is the best time to plant, but I can't bear being outside... the sun feels like needle pricks on your skin through the humidity... you can't breathe enough to do heavy work.
My vision isn't good enough to work in the dark - even when the baseball field is lit up.
The cattle got into my corn garden, I have to clear it and replant... but it ain't gonna happen this week.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:44:27 AM »
90 to 92 F, but the combination of hot, humid, and no breeze. The only weather that I truly HATE {nono} We did have a few days of hot and humid, but now in the 60s/70s and  much better.

You start wishing for a hurricane, just so you can get a little rain...

Careful what you ask for Sunbeam ;)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »
I guess that's why we have 32 million people in this state.  Too, too many.
Amazing weather and  an occasional earthquake ::)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »
I'm with you Sunbeam...I am not a hot, steamy weather person.  I make myself work out in that stuff short periods of time...then come in and take a break.  I put central air in this old house several years ago (against DH's protestations) but he hasn't complained about it either... ::)  The house and furniture stay dry and it just makes working out in the heat more bearable if you can get away from it from time to time. 

This past Saturday we had graduation parties to go to and it was just miserable being packed into small spaces trying to nibble food, be sociable and all.  They air was so heavy that it would just burst out raining.  Then everyone would run back under cover juggling plates and drinks.  All I could think of was getting the heck out of there, drying off and putting my hair in a braid.... :)

I'm sorry to hear about your garden.  Bad, bad cattle... :thumbdown:  I've had them in my yard and flower beds more than once.  Their hooves punch holes in everything not to mention their sheer destruction just getting them back in the pasture causes.   :P 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:52 AM »
So sorry you guys.  I guess one would have to work early and retreat to a cool place later in the day.  How do the animals take it?

My neighbor is in Switzerland so I am off to his pool.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 01:57:49 PM »
This is so hot down here that my phrase, I'm melting is becoming real...
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 02:15:41 PM »
The cattle play water buffalo and wade out into the pond mid-belly deep... then they haul out and lie in the shade.
Even so, they pant.
The chickens pant too.
So do the ducks and the turkey.
And the dogs.
The horses don't pant, but they sweat profusely.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »
It's hot here too but I don't mind so much, it beats the h*ll out of being cold.  If I get too hot working in the yard, I float around in the pool for a bit.  The pool was getting really warm until we figured out yesterday that we hadn't taken it off the solar heater.  It's much cooler and more refreshing now that it isn't running across the roof in black pipes first.   

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:18:50 PM »
So Jonna, if I invited you up to go ice fishing, you'd pass?  ;)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »
Oh you bet your butt I'd pass.  I cannot imagine a worse hell than being stuck out in cold wind, sitting on ice, with frozen fingers and toes and everything in between.  Nothing, I mean nothing including a million dollars and a new iPad, would get me up there where you are in the winter.   Can I interest you in summer in the tropics?  It was a mild 104°F today with humidity in the 80% range, unfortunately I was out running errands all afternoon which was really dumb.  I had to meet a friend for lunch at 1:30pm and then I spent 2 hours at the dentist.   :'(   However... all those places were air conditioned so it really wasn't so bad.  It's 81° now at 11:30pm and it feels really cool and fresh - it's all relative eh?  but some relatives are easier to take than others   lol

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 06:21:23 AM »
I don't mind the heat at all, and the humidity isn't so bad, either, if it's not too high.

But I do - very much - mind COLD weather. 

We had a tornado warning yesterday.

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 07:14:06 AM »
Jonna,

For me, the only weather that gets me steaming, is, well, Heat and Humidity--There's just not enough clothes to take off.  {nono}

Steve
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 03:27:14 PM by EagleEye »

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »
Wow Eagle, you are brave to be out there.  Even if I weren't dying from the cold (there are never enough clothes to put on and when you try you can't move), I'd be scared to death to be out on that ice. 

I like my water liquid and warm and transparent so I can look at the fish, I don't want to catch them. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"