Author Topic: Koi eating water lily  (Read 1761 times)

Offline underpressure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Koi eating water lily
« on: June 10, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
We have several Koi in our water garder they have started eating our water lily's....its not from lack of food!  Does anyone know what to do?  Its killing me! 

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Koi eating water lily
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:50:42 PM »
My dog had his dinner tonight but 10 minutes later I left my plate on the coffeetable and he ate my hamburger.  >:(- Can't leave an delicious burger around a dog even if he just ate. Same goes for lilies and koi. I moved my plants to a separate lily pond. Good luck.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »
oh I am so with you on this.  This is the year I think I am gonna have to make the call that it either becomes a koi pond and I let them have their way with the lilies or they gotta go.  It only gets worse as they get bigger.  Almost every single lilly I have is unpoted and floating in the water.  For now I am letting them just float and give me the shade coverage I need till I decide what to do. 

I dont know how big your koi are but mine didnt start eating my plants till last year.  I was able to cover the pots with rocks and that helped but this year they are so huge the rocks dont detour them.  I think its because I have had these fish so long and kind of chuckled at others that said their koi bothered the plants and mine didnt touch them. :)

Be great to hear if there is someway to have both!

tink

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »
Yep once they start eating them they don't stop...some will eat them and others wont....you just happen to have lily eaters  ;)
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline underpressure

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
Okay well thanks for the replys! not really what I wanted to hear!  I have had most of my Koi's for years along with the lilys....I guess my koi have won for now but I might think about finding new homes for them......Anyone interested in lily eating koi's????  LOL

Offline labs2006

• Members
  • With us since: 27/05/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 09:13:26 PM »
We just put in a new koi pond a few months ago. A friend told me to put clean lava rock in an ice cream bucket with handles. She uses a rod to hook the handles if she ever wants to move the plants. She has big koi fish and they do not like the lava rocks and leaves her lillies alone. Before putting the plants in with the lava rocks, her kois would eat hers too, plus scoot them around.  And oh, her lillies are beautiful and health in these buckets with lava rock.  Just a suggestion, have a good day.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:46:47 PM »
I have 20 inch koi and not a nibble on the lillies. I feed them 3 times during season. I add WH. and they gobble that up. WH = water hy??something. Grammar police are out there.

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 05:34:10 AM »
If your koi are just digging in the pots to eat the lily roots, there are ways to reduce that. When I still had plants in with the fish, the wide quarter barrel pots were filled with gravel (no dirt), ending with egg-sized river rock, then I attached a circular peony grid. They could no longer root around, but by the end of the season they were ripping up the pads so I gave up on plants. It could be that part of the attraction to plants is when food pellets get in the pot's gravel/dirt or collect around the pads.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 05:50:58 AM »
I've never tried them but, they also make lily protectors....I have never understood why people are ready to get rid of the koi when they get too big or they start doing what nature has told them to do for centuries...People really need to educate themselves on pond fish before they buy them...koi do get large-my biggest girl is 30"--they do constantly root around and aren't picky whether thats in the bottom of the pond or if its in your pots of plants---and they do eat plants again just something that they do...goldfish don't get as large--they will root around to some extent and normally they don't devour you plants as though they are at an all you can eat buffet....koi require more work and filtration that goldies do....and to me none of them should be considered disposable pets....So please people start doing your homework before buying pond fish....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »
Two suggestions:

I have most of my lilies in a "corral."  It's a rectangular box built from PVC pipe, spray-painted black and then covered on all sides but the top side black plastic screening (like for a porch, or sun screening).  It sits on milk crates in my pond, and protects the lilies.  I also keep my fancy fantails, google eyes & orandas in there.  Make sure there is enough room between the corral and the sides of the pond, for the fish to swim around the corral.

For a lily that is in the middle of the pond, I got a black plastic laundry basket, cut a hole in the bottom, and put it (weighted with rocks) over the lily pot.  The stems grow up through the hole and reach the surface of the water.  Small fish can swim through the basket, but the large koi cannot.  My lily is doing great!  Some pads float over the top, and the fish sometimes mess with those, but there are plenty more inside the confines of the basket, and the blooms are totally safe from the koi.

Offline underpressure

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »
Julles I  Love those ideas I am going to try the laundry basket to start thank you so much....I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
Thanks!  Emily

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 07:46:51 PM »
The best part is, I got the laundry basket at the Dollar Store, for $1.  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"