Author Topic: Can you tell a tropical seedling from a hardy seedling?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can you tell a tropical seedling from a hardy seedling?
« on: June 23, 2010, 01:19:20 PM »
Can you tell a tropical seedling from a hardy seedling?

I have seedlings that made their way into the pot that had my lily pons that died. Lily pons never made it past raising one pad after transport so I know they are not from her.  I figure they are either from the Yellow Queen hardy nearby or the tropicals in the same container pond.  They are definitely plants from seed though (so I guess proper term is hybrids?) as no vivaparous lilies in this particular pond.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: Can you tell a tropical seedling from a hardy seedling?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
Pads of hardies are much thicker skinned and meatier than tropicals but seedlings are difficult to ID. You could just grow them out and wait for the bloom to be sure. Tropicals can bloom in 5 to six weeks from germination, hardies take a bit longer but are still worth it.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »
Thanks Sean.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 04:08:52 PM »

In my experience there is more difference between seedlings individually or from cross to cross than there is between hardies and tropicals, day and night bloomers etc.  I had a seedling in my greenhouse pool that just sprouted and grew in a pot.  I went back and forth in my mind as it grew, is it a night bloomer is it hardy is it a day bloomer.  As it got bigger I decided that it was a hardy but soon it became apparent that it was a night bloomer.
  At that point I knew I couldn't tell so I just grow them out to find out.

If all you have in that pool is yellow queen and tropicals then the chances that they are trops is very high.
  I have Yellow Queen and I might remember seeing a seed or two but my memory tells me that it makes VERY few.
Tropicals are huge seeders and they sprout in pots and along shore in my ponds. Most tropical seedlings that I see are light green.  White night bloomers are usually light green and other night bloomers tend to be brownish with arrowhead shaped submerged leaves.  If your seedlings are from your Yellow Queen then the majority of them will have multy colored and or marbled submerged leaves that are arrowhead shaped.  The majority of day blooming tropical submerged leaves will be light green and rounder more like surface leaf shaped or wide arrowhead.

Submerged leaves can be like a very thin blade of grass or wider like a wide blade of grass with no sinus. They can be like a wide arrowhead or a very long thin concave sided arrowhead with long barbs to a triangle. They can be round and flat with an overlapping sinus just like a surface leaf or crinkly like a piece of lettuce. They can and will usaly change shape and color as the plant gets bigger. Usualy from thiner to wider and lighter to darker or more colorful as it grows.  They can be translucent or almost black or red as blood or purple or shine with the color of gold. They can be multy colored like a Coleus leaf.   Most of this kind of variation will be seen with hardies and inter sub-generic crosses between hardies and tropicals.  Most tropical seedlings are pretty bland by comparison. More uniform in shape and color. But I have very little experience with tropical seedlings because I don't deliberately breed them I just grow the volunteers that pop up everywhere.

Does your Yellow Queen flower well for you? Mine almost never flowers. I'm thinking of getting rid of it.

Here are some various seedling pics.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:24:01 PM by turtlemike »

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
Turtlemike- Yes my Yellow Queen is a good bloomer. She grew quick too so i actually have her divided and there are  two pots of her in the same tank.  The only other good bloomer in that tank last year was my Ostara. The other tropicals only gave one bloom or no blooms last year.

Thanks for your info and pics! I enjoyed looking at them. Is that sphagnum moss you have them in in that first pic?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:23:08 PM by greenthumbnails »

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »

That's amazing to me that my Yellow Queen and Colorado basicly refuse to flower in bed conditions when other plants right next to them in exactly the same conditions and even silimilar parentage flower to beat the band all year non stop.  I actualy have a Yellow queen flower today. It's so rare that I took particular notice of it and thought again about geting rid of it. it. It may have only on of two more all the rest of the year.  I should take a crown and put it in a pot by my colorado in a pot and see how it does.  I don't plant in pots much so if a plant doesn't do well in a crowded bed then I then that is a huge strike against it in my mind.  I do realy like my potted Colorado though and it blooms like crazy. So I'll give Yellow Queen a try in a pot and if it blows my mind I'll keep it.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 01:03:59 PM »

That's not spagnum moss it's clay soil with a bacterial and algae layer on top.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"