Author Topic: Anyone here speak German or Italian?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
Anyone here speak German or Italian?
« on: December 02, 2006, 05:48:30 AM »
I had wall words done for our walls, now I have two saying I want to have made, however
I want them in German and Italian. Is there anyone here that can spell it out for me?

German:    All You Need is Love

Italian:      Kiss the Cook

Thanks, Joann

edit; on second thought, not sure which saying I want in which language, so
both translations for each saying would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 06:08:00 AM by CliffandJoann »

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
Re: Anyone here speak German or Italian?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 06:54:25 AM »
I already found a lanuage translator sight, from another forum.
It is so fun...

http://www.google.com/language_tools

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 05:32:01 PM »
I was just going to suggest Babelfish. It's an online translator.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 09:20:22 PM »
Spent many months learning italian before going there . . . Still don't know how to say Kiss the Cook!

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:52:21 PM »
I tried to use Babelfish once to translate a 17th century will written in French. The French was so archaic that it didnlt work well. I gave a copy to someone who IS French and teaches French...there were some words in it that even a native couldn't discern. It was fun though.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:59:05 PM »
Yeah, it will have a little problem translating 18th Century French. Thou understandeth? ::) {:-P;; lol

Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:34:44 AM »
Baciare il cuoco! o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 04:37:31 AM »
This will was written in 1690 and was from a Hugenot ancestor of mine in South Carolina. It wasn't a matter of "thou understandeth" exactly. It was more a matter that words used had long ago fallen out of common usage. Like the word "sere" has fallen out of common usage in English. There were words for farm implements and stuff that the translator couldn;t recognize.

I had the same problem deciphering a tombstone inscription of another ancestor. This one was an 1863 tombstone in Tennessee. The woman died in childbirth while her husband, an army physician, was away serving in the Civil War. He was an Abernathy, from Scotland. WHen she died they let him come home to bury her and the child, and he decided that he wanted to make this really romantic gesture and he wrote her tombstone inscription in SPANISH of all things.

I speak a small amount of SPanish, I used to be fairly fluent but that was long ago...but I knew enough to try to translate this using Babelfish....but it kept making NO SENSE.

Finally I gave it to a fluent Spanish speaker and the problem was it had been translated from English to Spanish as a "literal translation", he said probably the person who wrote it used some sort of Spanish dictionary and looked up each individual word and wrote it all down "literally" so when it gets translated back it has very odd usage and connotation.

Can you imagine how weird that would be, to be walking through a Civil War era cemetery in rural Tennessee and come upon a tombstone written in SPANISH?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"