Author Topic: Filters Clog too Quickly  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Crisco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Filters Clog too Quickly
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:48:52 AM »
Hi,
I am new to ponds and just set up a very small pond that has a Pondmaster 190 fountain/filter.  I started using the pump 4 weeks ago and cleaned it after 2 weeks and then about a week ago then just 2 days ago and now it needs cleaned again?  Each time I clean the filters, I have to because the flow from the fountain reduced to a trickle due to clogging with muck. I only have about 5 small 3 inch goldfish and 4 tadpoles in the pond and no plants yet. Any advice or suggestions to avoid having to clean the filter every other day?  Would I be better off making a smaller version of a skippy filter for this small pond?  I also read about removing the filters and putting the pump in a basket type container with nylon scrub balls or cleaning pads surounding the pump.

Thanks

Chris
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:59:05 AM by Crisco »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Filters Clog too Quickly
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 06:24:53 AM »
Mine does the same thing too--but that's what filters do, filter the water and this time of year there is a lot of particulate matter, fish poo, etc. and we hose ours off every few days.  Maybe it makes a difference if you have a skimmer (which I don't), but this is stuff suspended under the water not skimmed off the top.  My water is clear and fish and plants are healthy, so I don't really mind doing it in the height of ponding season... :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Crisco

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
Thanks Kittyzee, 

If I have to clean it every other day that's what I will do.  I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask to see if the experts here on the board know something I don't about this.  My expertise is music & guitars not ponds and filtration systems   :-\

Chris

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:12:17 AM »
I clean my Skippy once a year, so help me.  The skimmer i clean when the waterfall slows down.
We have had members claim the never clean theirs!
Yes I have clear water.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Crisco

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:20:50 AM »
Jerry,

Can a smaller version of a skippy work in a small pond?

Chris

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »
Crisco, I failed to mention that I do have a biological filter/waterfall that sits up above my pond.  I turn it on in early spring and then when it warms up I add plants to it(water clover and parrots feather this year) that help to filter the water.  But the only actual physical filter I have I DO clean every few days.  The only time my bio filter is cleaned (rinsed with hose water only) is in the fall when it gets shut down before really cold weather.  I don't want my falls to freeze so I drain the tub and wait for spring.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline JuneBug

• Members
  • With us since: 13/09/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
I hope you have well water when you say you "hose your bio falls filter off", because un-chlorinated water will destory any good bacteria....

Offline Shoestring Ponder

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
OK, I am new to this stuff as well, so I am going to ask a really dumb question, but here goes, What is a skippy filter?  :doh: Can someone direct me to a picture of it? TIA

CyndiMO o(:-) o(

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »
I live on a farm and have well water.  I don't hose out my bio filter at all.  It's only drained and rinsed out with well water at the end of the season. 
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"