Author Topic: advice on needing new pump  (Read 2022 times)

Offline misstammy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
advice on needing new pump
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:10:42 AM »
Well when I mentioned one of both of  my little giants has been running 24/7 360 a year for about 8 years just died. I guess I should have knocked on wood or limestone or something !! >:(-

I have two pumps for extra airation AND if one breaks there is still airation for the  o(

So my question is WHAT kind of pump??

I have sequence are good pumps. They, I believe, are external so they are supposed to be more efficient on the electric bill. What are your thoughts. Thanks. This pump just runs water and isn't filtered. Only about 2 foot lift. Do I need a 2000 gph for this one? The other one is filtered and has a waterfall- about 4 foot high. Maybe I should get a 3000 gph in case this one on last leg and move the 3000 little giant to the unfilted hose.

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: advice on needing new pump
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:51:48 PM »
you had 8 years with the little giant so I would go with the same thing

Offline misstammy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 04:56:27 PM »
I found a pond master similiar in style. Seems they are more efficient(electric bill) than before. Are little giants evolved in the efficiency?
I cannot find many little giants . Not in stores any more. Justliners suggested the pondmaster. The one I asked about seems expensive.

Offline hillbillysrus

• Members
  • With us since: 03/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »
Misstammy,
While I don't have any experience with any other brand of pump, I do recommend the pondmaster pumps.
I don't believe they make the size I have anymore(it's the 3600), but it has been running pretty much 24/7 for at least 5 years and it has worked flawlessly.
I will say that not long after I first got it, the impeller broke and damaged the inside, but it was promptly replaced under warranty, no questions asked.  Since then, the only thing i have had to do is replace the impeller one time and that was this spring.

And I will admit, my pump has a hard life... {:-P;;due to my DIY inexperience, my poor excuse for a skimmer offers little to no prefiltering, so pretty much everything that get's near it gets sucked up into my skippy, and due to some "accidents" I've even gone out and found it chugging away in 2 inches of water.

My next pump will absolutely be a pondmaster....

Alan

Offline lerchcon

• Members
  • With us since: 11/07/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:53:38 AM »
I am in need of a new one also, I have currently a 2000 from home depot and a calpump that has crapped out way to many times to count lol.  So I am very interested in this thread.  I need a minimum of 3900 GPH but really dont have the sequence money to spend  :'(

Offline misstammy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »
Well they calle dand said they are out of the pondmaster I paid for. They will be sending a anjon- monsoon ms4000 instead. they said it is an upgrade to the 3200 gph pondmaster. Hope it works well.

That is strange about your Calpump. I thought those were good too. My first little Giant did NOT last long. I think I will just run this new one and keep the 3000 gph little giant as back up. I dont think it is best interest of pocket book to run a 4000 gph AND an 8 year old gph. I will keep it in the pond not running. I think if I take it out things will dry up and not work if needed.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »
I've never used a monsoon pump and never heard anything about them.  I HAVE used pondmasters and probably always will.  My problem with what you posted is this:  they were 'out' of the pondmaster and then substituted the monsoon pump.  Why didn't they just backorder what you wanted or put you in contact with someone who could give you what you ordered instead of substituting another pump.  IMO this is okay with some products, but NOT pond pumps.   :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline misstammy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »
I don't know those answers and should ask. They said these work just as welland was an "upgrade" . I guess I will keep all this info and if it breaks they should send me a new pondmaster!! I will call and ask more questions again.

Offline misstammy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »
kittyzee
pondmaster(originally ordered) 3200 gph at 5' is 2000 gph- 1.6 amps/200 watts
pondmaster 4800 gph at 5' is 3900 gph- 2.0 amps and 250 watts

This monsoon is ms4000  says it is for a max size pond of 8000 gallons. pumps at 5' 4000 gph 320 watts. amps not shown.
So my pond is about 3000 gallon. had a little giant that was 3000 gallon pump size so pumping at 5' not sure was it is per hour. My waterfall is actually only about 4 foot or a bit less but the pumps are lower in the pond so I bet it would be 5' total.

so what to do with this info??

So I called and asked about why sending different if out. They didnt think I wanted to wait until they got more in. I will try and see how it work. It seems I will get better flow vs my 3000 gph little giant because of my waterfall. This pumps 4000 gph with the fall figured in. Wish me luck. I will raise some hell if this is a piece of junk!! I am pretty good at it too! {nono}

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 05:14:04 PM »
My concern is the actual longevity of the pump working versus a pondmaster.  I know that pondmasters have some replacement parts that can be purchased--like an impeller and will run for years.  I just know nothing about the monsoon pump:  but I would certainly hold them accountable if it up and dies right after the warranty is up.

Keep us posted!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »
I know I wouldn't be happy to get something I didn't order. I like my pondmasters. Like others said never heard of a monsoon. Hope its not something that they had on the shelf and was an easy way to get it moved.

Pondmasters are rugged, and tough. It might be a upgrade as far as gph's, but duribility would be my worry.  Pumps aren't cheap, but some are cheaply made.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 12:33:57 AM »
You know what I did a little research both on amazon, I found a 14 dollar difference but couldnt find any info on warranty, what did they offer besides the "upgrade" as far as a warrranty?  Hope all works well, the one I got from Homedepot is working ok, but lately I have been having to unplug, plug, unplug and keep going till it kicks back on because I think it is getting clogged.  Who knows I am so confused as to what to do next.  Good luck

Offline misstammy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »
2 year warranty on both.

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 01:32:19 AM »
sounds ok again good luck

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"