Author Topic: Can one or the three of you post pics on the steps you take to polinating lilies  (Read 4924 times)

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I would love to see good clear pics of how the three of you do such great work.

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hey Gander,

I'll try for some pics today if either my current camera decides it wants to work today or the new one arrives as promised.  You asked elsewhere about the 'dustiness' of pollen.  There is a wide range of variation there.  Some hybrids produce scads of it and some stingy.  Some like Dir. George T Moore produce large amounts, but when you scope it...it is sterile.  Quite a number give you sterile pollen.

I'll try for pictures later.

Craig
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks Craig looking forward to it.

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Hey Gary,

Here are a couple pics.  The first is a close-up of colorata and if you look at the top between say eleven o'clock and one o'clock you can see some pollen on the anthers.  I have a heck of a time with pollen as my neighbor is a bee keeper, so I have to try to beat his bugs to my pollen.<g>  As a rule, I tie closed the first day bloom of any flower I plan to harvest pollen from.

I collect nectar from any available first day bloom with a syringe...again asap, before the bees have had a chance to taint it with stray pollen.

Then I put the anthers I've collected and the nectar in a vial and make a pollen slurry of sorts.  You can see in the picture the fluid has turned yellow and pollen grains can be seen on the side of the vial.  Then I pour it into the first day bloom of the target pod parent after I remove in fluid from the nectar cup.

It really is a simple straight forward process.  I don't bother covering the bloom as I feel the abundance of added pollen will overwhelm any stray pollen that is deposited later.  Okay, if I am feeling real finicky I might, but then I will have also strained the stigmatic fluid I first collected through filter paper as well.  Extremely rare I go through that much trouble, I think I've only done so when I'm trying crosses between subgenera.

Two big things are knowing if the pod parent is fertile and the pollen viable.  A microscope will tell you if the pollen is good and for the pod parent, I usually first hit it with heavy does of mixed pollen that I know to be potent to see if I get seed.

Hope this all makes sense, but if not, ask any questions you may have.

Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Hello Gary,
 I did take some photos this summer and put they away for safe keeping and now i cant find them.  >:(- >:(- >:(-such is life.
I really like this thread, I wish more would participate.

lou

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks Craig.   That is so interesting. I love growing plants from seed. I used to do Roses and dayliles. Louis look forward to your pics too,

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Thanks Craig. The photos really help. I will try pollinating again next summer.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
I use a syringe. It makes the process so much easier and cleaner.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
very clever, sean  :)

lou

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
That is very neat. Sean.

Offline iang

• Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I do not see any of the photo's. Any ideas why?

Iang

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
this post was made in 2006, if you need some more photos i know i have some about pollinating

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I do not see any of the photo's. Any ideas why?

Iang

Me too. I can't see the photos either.... :(
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
If you need pollinating help, here the link that Sean was kind enough to post for me in another post in this section. http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies/make_your_own.html
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
unfortunately I had to delete one gigabyte of photo's because we did not have the server space to keep hosting them. The link to Victoria Adventure will explain it all.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
 :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"