Author Topic: My surgery  (Read 1483 times)

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My surgery
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »
I had surgery yesterday on my left shoulder. The doctor originally said that depending on shat he found when he went in that it could be as much as 6 months healing. I had a huge bone spur, a torn rotator cuff, a torn tendon and a torn labious. He was unable to tell how bad the tears were beecause the bone spur was so big. When he went in and removed the bone spur he was able to scrape the rotator cuff and not have to repair it further. He was able to repair the tendon also and said the recovery time will only be 4-6 weeks. The surgery went well, and the recovery tine is better. Prayers have been answered. I have slept most of the time since. The 'block" he did for pain on my shoulder has just started to wear off this morning. Some knew I was to have this done and I thank you for your prayers. 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:17:20 AM »
I'm glad the surgery went well Frank.   

I injured a rotator back in the 80s when fighting with a suspect and it took roughly a year to heal.  I didn't seek medical treatment nor did I report the injury for fear of being retired on a disability.... stupid decision but I was young and had a young family I was concerned about.  The injury still bothers me when I raise that arm overhead or sleep on that side. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:10:52 PM »
Thanks Mikey. I couldn't use my left arm to lift anything over a few pounds, and could not raise it above my shoulder without a lot of pain so I knew I needed surgery. I still waited about 6 months. Haha! Can't you still have surgery and repair the shoulder? I do not know how bad your shoulder hurts, but mine was hurting constantly, and if I tried to lift things or forget and move it scertain ways or up, it hurt much worse. Would be worth checking into surgery I would think. If not, I hope your pain is minimal.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »
Glad to hear you are well Frank.  Got the tail end story of your surgery on Chat.  Thank goodness the surgery didn't have to be more intensive.  Rest well and take pain meds if you feel discomfort.

Mikey, from my medical background (zip) I would say don't raise that arm overhead or sleep on that side!  :D ;D :D  Sorry, inner demons made me do that.  In all seriousness, Mike, I do hope you find relief.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »
Mikey, from my medical background (zip) I would say don't raise that arm overhead or sleep on that side!     
Now why didn't I think of that?   ;D :D
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 09:54:28 PM »
Glad to hear all is going well Frank!  I didn't know about your shoulder, sorry.

Mikey, hope you can do something about your shoulder too!

I know how it feels to have body aches, have them everyday with back and knees.

Offline tugo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 01:46:52 AM »
Wish you quick recovery.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 06:08:22 AM »
Frank, glad you are doing well after the surgery.  Take care of that shoulder and follow the doctors orders.  You'll be back to playing in the muck in no time.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 01:21:56 PM »
That doesn't sound like fun at all  :-\. I hope it heals well and correctly. Best wishes.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 03:58:10 PM »
Ouch, glad to hear the outcome was better than expected.

I know bone spurs are painful, I have them in my heals. I'm sure nothing like yours, but if these little ones hurt like they do, I couldn't imagine a huge one.

kIM

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 06:37:09 PM »
Thanks, everyone. So far things are going okay. The pain pills are doing their job pretty well, and I am sleeping a lot. I have started exercizing the shoulder some and that makes it hurt but have to do it. Will be back in the mud and the ponds before too much longer.  ;D  Well, the doc says 6 weeks, or so.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"