Author Topic: My First Koi Pond  (Read 3282 times)

Offline lerchcon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My First Koi Pond
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:16:00 AM »
I hope you all enjoy this one as much as I have.  It started as 5 X 8 and app 16" deep with just an under gravel Filter and a 3900 CalPump that has crapped out about every 9 months, 3 so far.  Anyhow Hope you enjoy, I have since upgraded to a larger one with another waterfall.  My Lord I spent an hour trying to shrink it to fit, who takes pictures that are only 200kb = ).

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: My First Koi Pond
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:40:10 AM »
Here is the redo, it now has a PF3000 filter an aqua 40 watt UV, 2 inch tubing, the 3 tier is powered by a 3900 Calpump that has crapped out 3 times but i only paid for one because of warranty from builder, even though i totally tore the whole thing apart and rebuilt it similar.  It is now about 8 by 9 by almost 3 feet deep.  the smaller falls is powered by a home depot 2000 GPH submersible pump.  Also the whole thing is granit Mohave gold rock and they were really heavy after lifting about 5 tons by hand.  Hope you like, I Love it.  I took the redo pictures at night so i tried to make them as bright as I could, also I am in Vegas and have a very small yard so this is as big as I can go.  But i have about 4 months and have to replace the pump again.  Thsi time with my own dime = (.  Have a great day
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:42:39 AM by lerchcon »

Offline tugo

• Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »
Very nice, well done pond lerchcon. Enjoy:))

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »
thank you tugo

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »
Very nice and a lot of hard work!   8)

You weren't asking for advice on pumps, but I've had really good luck with Pondmaster--mine runs 24/7, 365 a year and I'm in Ohio where the pond freezes over for a few months each year.  I shut down my falls in late autumn and just run the diverted pump to keep oxygen moving without a lot of churning of icy water.  I then start up my bio-falls in the spring each year.  I've only had to replace my pump once in 15 years.  Many of the parts of the pondmaster are replaceable such as the impeller. 

Are there fish in your pond?
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
yes there are fish in the pond, I have 7 fish for about 1400 gallons.  the 2 biggest fish are about 12 inches the others are all under 8.  I startred with about 14, and then got rid of some because i didnt want the green to come really quick.  I would have many more fish but dont have room to make pond bigger.  I love this hobby, but the wife keeps getting POd because i keep upgrading.  Also I am in las vegas and the past few weeks it has been over 110 so the green comes quickly.  I was asking for advice on pumps, but i guess I didnt word it right = ).  Pondmaster huh, sub or external?  Thank you so much.  And since I am new and this is my thread dare I ask why som many people post pics of flowers instead of ponds and waterfalls?  Dont kill the new guy for asking = ).

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »
 lol  Don't worry, we post pics of ponds and waterfalls too, but it's just that everything is in full bloom around the country and we like to share... :)

My pump is submersible.  There are many others with the same and also external.  Others swear by different pumps.  I'm sure many will chime in with their recommendations.  Hang in there, we'll help you get all fixed up!   @O@
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »

why som many people post pics of flowers instead of ponds and waterfalls?
Probably because at some time or another we likely have posted photos of the pond/waterfall and we take them for granted.  But since you ask......

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 11:31:20 PM »
ask and you shall recieve.  I wish I had the yard for that waterfall my yard is 25 feet to my back wall, and 45 feet long that is all = ( but its ok I made due.

Offline Pondering

• Members
  • With us since: 14/03/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »
Nice pond!  And in answer to your question about the plants and flowers... i think 'cause it tends to give a more natural look if there is some greenery around it.  There are a couple great threads (that i need to go back to and review) on Hen's 'n chicks, succulents, and cactus that would survive Vegas heat.  BTW... i'm heading out to Vegas a week from Tuesday.  @O@

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 01:53:40 PM »
Hey Lerchcon!  Wonderful pond paradise you created in Vegas!  It's not as hot here in Orange county, CA, (gorgeous tropical paradise Mikey!  :o ) TG!!  I use 2 submersible pumps, 1 Pondmasters and a smaller fountain and filter Laguna pump, also submersed, and prefilters to the bio filters, in my koi pond for those pooping machines.  The larger lily pond has 1 Pondmaster and prefilter to a bio filter for the fancies that wiggle their tails around.  ;)  This one has a much needed redesign for the waterfall but barely any room for a fancy one like yours (or Mikey's).

I would share flowers if my lilies could get warmed up to bloom....but soon!  @O@

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
Thanks for the wondeful comments MIG ( cant spell whole thing) = )  I really didnt have the much room the waer fall only extends from the back wall to the bottom teir about 4 feet, but with the ferns on the sides and at night it looks awesome.  But thank you so much for the comments they are appreciated.  Pics of your pond here?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »
I wish I could find a post with my pond photos but it seems all the photos are corrupt or something.  Also my computer is running out of space so I moved all my photos to a portable hard drive which I cannot use at the moment....But I sure do not envy the heat you are probably used to now.  I'm the heat wimp.

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 09:21:24 PM »
I am a heat wimp to especially after spending 6 years in Misawa snow cold Japan = ).  That is where my facination with koi ponds came from.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"