Author Topic: Our Dumb Luck Pond  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Shoestring Ponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Our Dumb Luck Pond
« on: September 10, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Well, gonna try and see if I can do this. This is the second season for our Dumb Luck Pond.I hope this works. Next year we hope to strike the correct balance between open water areas and floating plants. The floating plants this season really kept down the algae in the water. You can see the hoola hoops I added so that we can see the fish. LOL Sort of a "Window to Their World."

CyndiMO

Offline Shoestring Ponder

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Our Dumb Luck Pond
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
Tis me, again  {:-P;;,

I should have also noted, the first pond was from 2009 and the second photo was from 2010. We overloaded with lots of free Water Lettuce this year which kept the algae down and I noticed the goldfish like to snap off the new tender shoots and eat them. We have since composted the majority of Water Lettuce after giving away oodles of it. We now need to begin sorting through the Water Hyacinth and get rid of it as well. I would assume we will still have hot days again, so we will w8 until the beginning of October. At one point, we had at least 3 dozen Water Hyacinth in bloom at one time. I also floated some house plants such as Peace Lily, Phylodendron and a few annuals as well as I had 2 islands that I floated a wild flower mixture. The various plants on the railing of the pond/pool were drying out for a bit before putting them back in. I sure would love to find a way to overwinter some of the Water Hyacinth though.

CyndiMO  o(

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »
Now that's a batch of water lettuce...........shame it's not romaine.  lol

You've been bitten by the bug..............I bet you have all sorts of ideas for future ponds.

:welcome: to the forum.  o(  o(  o(

Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »
I like it  :). I have ponds but keep teasing the kids, if you all don't start swimming more in the pool i'm converting it. I had to show them this pic and say see it can be done.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 07:44:01 AM »
WOW!   There are ways to overwinter both water lettuce and water hyacinth.  If you search the forum you will find some posts on the topic. 

emm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"