Author Topic: Gone to the dogs  (Read 1335 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Gone to the dogs
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:24:15 PM »
We have 2 dogs and the past 3 weeks I've been fostering a Boxer for a Boxer Rescue I help with. This guy had an embedded collar and had been starved till all his bones down his back showed PLUS he had a sore on his leg that hadn't been treated so had become infected. He needed a home where someone was home often to get him to vet appointments and just keep an eye on him. He has gained 5.5 lbs since I brought him home and his leg is totally healed. @O@ He is so awesome I can not understand how anyone could have neglected him (anyone looking for a really cool Boxer????) I do pet sitting in my home and a month ago a gal hired me to watch her terrier while she's out of town for these next 2 weeks. Then last night DH's sister found out she needed to be in Mo. for the next few days for work so now I have her dog too. OMG......5 inside male dogs. So far so good. The only problem has been from the terrier, smallest of all of them, he tries to boss the rest of them around. He has found himself taking quite a few time outs in a crate. BTW...all 4 of the other dogs weigh between 50 and 70 lbs....life in the house has been interesting.  ;)
zone 5b

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Gone to the dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
LOL, I would say I can't imagine but I can just in a smaller package. (size wise)

I have 2 pugs, 1 boston terrier, 1 lab ( that perfers to stay outside) 2 cats, 3 kids and 1 DH. The lab wasn't too much of a happy camper spending most of his summer inside. I just thought it was just too hot for him outside. He whinned alot the first couple weeks, then he was alright about it. He would beat me to the door when I was coming inside and go to the boys room and lay down. He's such a good baby.

Good Luck to you  ;) , hope everyone continues to get along & what a good hearted person to take in that Boxer and get him well. Hope you find him a great home. I just don't understand why people get animals and not take care of them.

I'm with Bob Barker .......Spay & Neuter your pets!
Kim
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:42:09 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:15:36 AM »
Crate Question:  A lot of people use the crate as a secure-feeling place for the dog to spend his day if his owners are gone, or to sleep in at night.  So I'm wondering when you said the "bad" dog gets a time out in his crate, would that create a negetive association with his crate, and cause problems when it comes time that you want him to go in his crate? 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:15:05 AM »
Makes sense to me that if it is a place of punishment, then it would become a negative space. Can't have it both ways. We have a small back bath and that is where "timeout" was. We didn't have to crate really though as I was retired when we got him at 6 weeks. When Smokey was a puppy and I saw him getting sleepy, I'd move him to the crate, hoping he would choose to sleep there. He never did, on his own. I just don't remember. It's been 6 years now. But I must have crated him when we went shopping or to church, etc. At night, I would carry him to the crate and say, "Time to go to bed." The crate was beside the bed so if he had to potty in the night, I'd hear him right away. When he got too big for the crate, I bought a larger one but it was just for nights. Somehow he went from that to-------now in our bed and when it's cold, under the blankets down by our feet. LOL

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »
This dog doesn't use a crate except when he's being naughty he needs to be removed from the situation. This is the owner's method and the dog gets the picture.
zone 5b

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:06:12 AM »
Crate Question:  A lot of people use the crate as a secure-feeling place for the dog to spend his day if his owners are gone, or to sleep in at night.  So I'm wondering when you said the "bad" dog gets a time out in his crate, would that create a negetive association with his crate, and cause problems when it comes time that you want him to go in his crate?

I was thinking the same.  ;)
Crating should not be used for a punishment. I understand you are only doing what the owner does but dogs really should associate crates as a safety zone, not a place of punishment.
The dog is a terrier so yes, he's probably wanting to be boss but it would be better to separate him to a different room for his time out. ;)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"