Author Topic: Someone will like to share some plants  (Read 1695 times)

Offline skarol98

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Someone will like to share some plants
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:25:58 AM »
I have a new pond and all the plants that I have been buying are diying little by little so I want to try again! I will like just easy to grow floaters, something to give some shade to my babies :)
thanks

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Someone will like to share some plants
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:41:35 AM »
karol, sorry that you are having problems with your plants.

I wish I'd known earlier in the week...I've been tossing Parrot's Feather in the compost pile.  It is buried under discarded lily tubs now.   :-\

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 03:02:02 PM »
Ditto, Sue!  I did the same thing too.  The weather is cooling and many plants are growing slower, even dying back now.  Maybe it would be best to wait for spring to buy to justify costs.  Just saying....... ;)

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 04:06:07 PM »
skarol,  What state do you live in? it is important to know as some plants are illegal to be shipped into certain states. Also, your climate determines what type of plants might have the best chance for survival. Sorry to hear about the plants not surviving.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 12:13:08 AM »
Skarol,

What is your water quality like?  If you have salt in the water, it will inhibit plant growth.  Also, since many floating and bog plants get nutrients from the "icky" stuff in water - fish poop, nitrites and nitrates and other contaminates, if your water is too clean, plant's can't thrive.  And if you have fish, it's possible they are chomping on the roots of the plants, which will eventually cause them to die.  Another thing to consider - how much sun does your spot get? Most plants like lots of sun. 

What kinds of plants have you lost?  Lilies?  Marginals?  Floating plants? 

Offline trish

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:05:08 AM »
Another thing to check is your pH skarol98.  If you have a pH above 8.5 or there 'bouts, plants will suffer and die.

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »
I live in NC the water quality I cant remember exactly but my strip say is fine but I will give more details soon, My spot does get lots of sun my water it is kind of too clean :( and the kind of plants that have been diying are lillies and hyacinth, but I think is a good idea to wait till next spring :( thanks you all

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
PM me your address. You still have time to get some hardy lilies started and they will survive your winter.

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »
Skarol98, I am not sure if the new pond is your first pond, or you have had previous pond experience, but I will try to give some ideas as to why your plants did not survive.
Insects and animals can destroy plants. If it was animal related, you would see evidence. If it was insects, you might not notice until it was too late. Aphids, roller caterpillers and spider mites are quite often the insects that destroy pond plants, although there are many others.
A mistake new ponders make sometime is that they want their pond to have crystal clear water and add a lot of chemicals and filtration to achieve that goal. Plants can survive in clear water, but they have some needs that must be met.
Hyacinth are floating plants whose roots filter the water. They get their nutrients from the water as they do this. If the water is filtered too strongly by other means, they starve to death.
Water lilies must be planted in soil that will hold their roots in place and allow them to be "anchored." They need to draw the fertilizer out of the soil, so they need to be fertilized as needed on a regular basis also.
Both types of plants need warmth and sunshine also. Lilies and hyacinth will not do well in total shade, even if the water and air is warm enough.

I ma not sure if this helps you or not, but maybe it will help someone who is starting out with their first pond.

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 02:38:59 PM »
thanks so much! I think my problem is that my water is too clean for my plants! so for now I will not do anything but next spring I will try it again! thanks soooooooooo muchhhh for all of you help!!  :) o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"