Author Topic: Meals on Wheels  (Read 818 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Meals on Wheels
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
My church for years has taken meals now and then to member shutins or people just coming home from a surgery, baby delivery, or illness. It was kind of hit and miss and it seemed like the same people would be doing it over and over. I want to have it announced in church and then make a list of people who volunteered. Then I want to put together a little folder with everyone's names, phone numbers etc. said they'd help.  In the folder I want to include some tips for food prep---hot foods hot, cold foods cold, sanitary methods of prep, ideas for menus, a few recipes of foods that store, freeze and travel well. I want to try to get enough people that we can ask different people each time--maybe alternate months or something.

And we want to start a small food pantry. The pantry would be just for us to have canned and boxed foods at hand to grab quickly if we hear of the need. Also, I have purchased different types of "take out" containers, some styrofoam with tops that fit tight and some tinfoil containers with cardboard tops, that we can keep in the pantry so people don't have to use their own containers when they take food.

I thought we'd make up labels too for each volunteer so if they use their own container, they can slap a label on it, to make sure it gets back. The label also can be used to indicate who the person was that delivered the meal so that appropriate thank yous can be forwarded.

We thought we'd gather some tried and true recipes that are inexpensive and simple too so if you have some ideas, they would be welcome too.

Do you have any suggestions for me? If so, I'd like to steal some ideas. Please. LOL.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:51:22 PM by Esther »

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Meals on Wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:36:44 AM »
Well either you folks don't have the need for a meals on wheels program, or don't have any ideas other than what I'm thinking....Noone said anything.. Not even recipes!!! Oh well, that's OK. I just had to do my own thinking. But in the end I was told of a website that we can use that fills the bill exactly. Trouble is, people at church who don't have computer will have to be phoned. Anyway if anyone wants to take a look at this site, I like it. It also has some tried and true recipes for "take out".  www.takethemameal.com  is the one I'm going to use.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Meals on Wheels
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:17:59 AM »
Esther, I'm sorry I didn't at least say I didn't have any great recipes for sharing.

Our small community does meals for funerals at the community building.  We also take meals in for families who are recovering rom surgery/accidents etc.  We also take in meals for new Mom's.  We usually just take it in a meal time ready to serve.  Usually a casserole, soup/stew or pot roast etc.  When it is my turn, I just do two of every thing.  One for here and one for there.  Usually the church ladies or even the office staff at the school will be in charge of making all the arrangements.

Thank you for sharing the website.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"