Author Topic: Cigarette smoke, The computer killer?  (Read 851 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Cigarette smoke, The computer killer?
« on: October 08, 2010, 08:19:03 AM »
Cigarette Smoke, The Computer Killer? | The Applecare Saga
by Maximilian Lemos on October 4, 2010

It’s no secret that smoking is not good for your health.  However, according to The Consumerist in association with ConsumerReports.org, Apple makes the case that it’s bad for your computer too! Two different accounts of voided Applecare warranties have been recorded because of cigarette smoke.

Apparently, if you or anyone else smokes around your Mac you better open a window, or shoe someone away, because both of the reported instances where appealed directly to Steve Jobs himself, and both shot down.  Here is one email from a disgruntled Mac user, who learned the hard way:

“I took my mid 2007 apple macbook (black) into the Jordan Creek Apple Store in West Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday, April 25th, because I had been experiencing some issues with it overheating, and figured the fan was bad. After some initial testing, they took the computer in for work under my Applecare plan, which has over a year remaining on it.

Today, April, 28, 2008, the Apple store called and informed me that due to the computer having been used in a house where there was smoking, that has voided the warranty and they refuse to work on the machine, due to “health risks of second hand smoke”.

Not only is this faulty science, attributing non smoking residue to second hand smoke, on Chad’s part, no where in your applecare terms of service can I find anything mentioning being used in a smoking environment as voiding the warranty.”

This customer received no help with his problem.

Another customer tells her chronicle:

“I bought an iMac for my son (for school) along with the extended Applecare warranty. A month ago, it quit working. My son took it to the authorized Mac service center. The “tech” informed him it would be ready in 48-72 hours. Five days go by and he’s heard nothing, so I called. They informed me that his computer can’t be worked on because it’s contaminated.

When I asked for an explanation, she said he’s a smoker and it’s contaminated with cigarette smoke which they consider a bio-hazard! I checked my Applecare warranty and it says nothing about not honoring warranties if the owner is a smoker. The Applecare representative said they defer to the technician and my son’s computer cannot be fixed at any Apple Service Center due to being listed a bio-hazard.

This computer cost approx. $3,000, with the extended warranty. I’m all for destroying cigarettes and putting big tobacco out of business (yes, I’m a reformed smoker), but to label a computer a biohazard because one is a smoker is going a bit too far in regulating who can have the warranty they purchased honored. Shouldn’t there be some disclaimer stating that they won’t honor warranties from smokers?”

In a response, Apple refused to fix the computer, so again, the unsatisfied customer wrote another letter:

“Dena [from Jobs' office] did advise me that nicotine is on OSHA’s list of hazardous substances and Apple would not require an employee to repair anything deemed hazardous to their health. However, OSHA also lists calcium carbonate (found in calcium tablets), isopropyl alcohol (used to clean wounds), chlorine (used in swimming pools), hydrogen peroxide (also used to clean wounds), sucrose (a sugar), talc (as in powder), etc… as hazardous substances.

Dena set up an appointment at the same Apple store. They told me that they would take pictures of the computer – both inside and out before determining whether to proceed and that if the only problem was the optical drive, they’d probably just replace it. Dena called me earlier this week to deliver the “bad news.” She said that the computer is beyond economical repair due to tar from cigarette smoke! She said the hard drive is about to fail, the optical drive has failed and it isn’t feasible to repair the computer under the warranty. This computer is less than 2 years old! Only one person in my household smokes – one 21 year old college student. She said that I can get it repaired elsewhere at my expense. I asked why my warranty didn’t cover the repair and was told it’s an OSHA violation.”

Whatever the circumstances, putting prejudices aside, Apple fails to remain transparent with their customers regarding this issue.  What’s your take? Is Apple being dishonest, or simply being cautious?  Tell us what you think by commenting below!

Related Articles:
Toasted Skin Syndrome | Heat Hurts
—-

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cigarette smoke, The computer killer?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:30:19 PM »
The computer should be replaced with a new one if they feel that tobacco residue is a bio hazard and not stated as such on the warranty. When they decide to state it on the warranty then the buyer has some more thinking to do. Until then, replace it if it is under warranty and the warranty service people deem it to be a hazard to themselves. Apple will not make the service people work on them. This would open a can of worms that they do not want to open. Apple has some warranty contracts to write. Until them they have to replace the problem computers.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cigarette smoke, The computer killer?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
So in essence, it would be like the disclaimers we receive with meds that mentions anything negative that has ever happened to someone taking that med.

But if this is just coming to light, it seems that the warranty that didn't mention the smoke problem, would have to stand. Now that it is known to be a problem, the new warrantys whould mention it and exclude coverage.

As to that smoke being a problem, I guess I might see where it could be a problem. I know that when we clean one of our duplexes and the people smoked inside, I can sure see it coating all the surfaces.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"