Author Topic: I need help with scarracenia- pitcher plant  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I need help with scarracenia- pitcher plant
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:27:11 AM »

Offline Vickie

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with scarracenia- pitcher plant- Sean or anyone
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:30:09 AM »
I have taken it inside for the winter. It is not planted in the ground. I am afraid it will die this winter in my zone 6. It is in the basement under shop lights. I have read do not fertilize it. Do I have to feed it insects this winter?

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with scarracenia- pitcher plant
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »
Vickie I leave my pitcher plants outdoors all winter so I don't have any experience with feeding them insects.  However, I suspect that it would not be necessary to collect insects to feed them unless they are putting on new growth indoors.  Hopefully someone who overwinters indoors will pop in to answer your question.

emm

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 05:49:22 PM »
Thanks emm. I am reading it needs the seasons. But I have no where to plant it. I can put it in a sunny basement window that can get cold but not freeze. That might be the answer.

Offline Michiponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:32:54 AM »
Hi Vicky

I have over wintered pitcher plant many times in zone 5 indoors.  Do not feed it!  In winter they need to slow down and are nearly dormat.  They need bright light light (not too many hours so they don't start growing and get gangly), slightly damp soil (never dry and not soggy in winter), and like cool temps then.  If you feed them while slowed down it can cause rotting.  Usually even the leaves they grow in winter are different and sometimes do not even form a pitcher to catch insects.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 08:42:29 AM »
Thank you Michi.  My basment will be at the coldest 50*F this winter. I could put it on a window sill there in the basement that gets colder but I do not think it would freeze. It would only get daylight. You know how it is we don't have a lot of sun in the winter we have many cloudy days.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"