Author Topic: Pond Filter Frustration  (Read 1733 times)

Offline jatfla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond Filter Frustration
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:06:46 PM »
Is it possible to have too large a ponder filter/pump?  Specifics:  App. 9 x 5, 750-800 gals.  2' deep. In N. Fla.

We've had our Home-made pond for about 9 yrs.  I got all my instructions & help from here (the older forum).   I use to need to change the filtering material (in pond) about every 2 months.  About 2 yrs. ago the pump died so I bought a stronger one just cause I thought it would be better.  Suddenly I was having to change the material almost every 2 wks.   A couple months ago, I bought a 1000 gal. per hr. pump and the fountain is dying within 24 hrs.  When I change the filtering material in the box, it's great!!!  until the next day.   >:(-  The plants are starting to take off and we only have a few more wks of *perfect* weather.  I'm so discouraged.

I called a local landscape company that does pond work to consider an outside-the-pond filtering system cause I'm just getting too old to lift & drag that thing out all the time.  But the thought that it's TOO powerful for my pond size came to mind so I'm sending the thoughts out to ya'll.

Jo Anne

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond Filter Frustration
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:15:53 PM »
Here's a very simple example of my pond, about 1100 gal (8' length x 5'&4'widths x 4' deep), with an above ground bio filter and a stronger than necessary submersible pump (can't remember how strong) which sits 4 feet deep in the pond with a prefilter.  Water flows very rapidly from the bio filter back to the pond (decided against a tall waterfall because it makes too much noise and neighbor can't sit in her yard without feeling like going to the bathrm.  :D  I clean my bio filter box once a year and the pre filter maybe 2 or three times, depending on the piggies swimming around.  Oh, I have (too) many 2 to 6 inch feeshies and water liles galore in this pond (Lily Pond).  This family loves to feed the feeshies!

I know my pump is stronger than necessary but it works for me and my water is very clear.  In another smaller pond (the Koi Pond) with 12+" koi that also eat like pigs I have the same pump as the big bigger pond and it really keeps up with the koi poopies+ with no pre-filter.  Same deal, it only gets cleaned once or twice a year = even nicer water.  Just looking back at your info it's possible you get more sun and heat where you live.  Possibly this is the reason for your filters are full so often.  More stuff growing.  I keep a large umbrella over the Koi Pond which gets more sun when the temps are high.  This works for my ponds.  Hope you can find an easier solution for your pond!

Offline Tadpole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/01/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond Filter Frustration
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:56:27 PM »
Is this the same pond with the moss covered brick edging?

You can't have a biofilter that is to large. It may be possible to have too large of a pump, but in your case I would venture to guess that the newer, larger pump is just picking up more debris in addition to moving it through your biofilter at a higher rate. You filter is clogging because it is filtering as it should. You most likely need to move up to a larger biofilter.
When was the last time that the pond was cleaned out? Is it a bare liner or rock & gravel pond? What is the present fish load?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:00:33 PM by Tadpole »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"