Author Topic: Uncovering the Pond??  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Uncovering the Pond??
« on: December 08, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »
I keep screen covers on my pond to keep the koi from jumping out, and also to keep predators out of the pond.

Since it's winter, do you think it would be safe to remove the cover?  Do fish jump as much when it's cold?

Keep in mind that this is South Texas, and my fish are still active and feeding; water temps probably in the low 60*'s.   

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Uncovering the Pond??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:13:24 AM »
Here in SoCal predators are year round especially colder months.  I need to keep up the netting.  :( :(

Offline trish

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:41:56 AM »
Ditto for predator protection.  GBH doesn't migrate so the net is staying on for the duration.  Our water temp is 40, thanks to the submerged heater, and the fishies are clamped to conserve heat and are on the bottom.  Not much movement from the big ones.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »
at no point should your fishes fins be clamped down....the fish will get inactive and sit on the bottom and most of the time if you sit there and watch they will still cruise around on the bottom slowly but, pecs will be out to the side and dorsel fins up.....
 Personally I leave nets on all winter because leaves are still going to be blowing about and will still end up in the pond...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline trish

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:22:36 AM »
Hi Lawanna - my comets aren't clamped and moving around but the koi in the pond are and they do that to conserve body heat.  We were initially worried, but our water parameters are excellent and we do frequent water changes.  From time to time they do move around, but not nearly as much as when the water temps were warmer.

http://www.akca.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=281:seasonal-care-reprinted-from-tetra-encyclopedia-of-koi-tetra-press

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 06:01:19 AM »
Julles

I keep mine netted year round. Hawks and owls hover around and look at the fish but can't get to them. There is no cover for them besides the net because the lilies have slowed down.

Cindy

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:28:09 AM »
Well, against everyone's advice, I just pulled mine off.

I'm so used to seeing the screen-and-PVC pipe covering the pond, I can hardly get used to seeing the pond uncovered.  I want to enjoy how it's supposed to look for a change, instead of all hidden under wire and plastic. 

Hopefully there will be no problems.  If so, I will slap the covers back on.  For now, the koi are fine, but the fantails have not shown their faces since the screens came off.  Guess they have to get used to the new look, too. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"