Author Topic: La Brea Tar Pits  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
La Brea Tar Pits
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:56:23 AM »
Thursday was our "cultural" trip and we drove into Los Angeles to visit the Farmers Market, eat at a wonderful deli, Canter's and finish up the day at the La Brea Tar Pits.  The La Brea Tar Pits is an area where natural pools of water have formed and in addition, fissures in the bedrock have allowed oil seepage to the surface.  The oil mixes with the sandy soil forming tar pits and animals wandering into the water to get a drink would get stuck in the tar and die.  Wolves and other animals also got trapped trying to eat animals that were stuck in the tar.  Eventually the tar would cover the animal and preserve the bones.  The pits have killed many thousands of animals during the ice age and it is an active site today for paleontologists.

Early 20th century photo of the oil fields where the La Brea Tar Pits are located.

Map of site

Overlooking "lake pit" in the background

Museum grounds

Statues of Columbian Mammoths simulating a mammoth trapped in the tar in pit lake.  Basically the tar was deep enough and sticky enough that when animals stepped into it they were unable to pull their feet out and escape.

Over much of pit lake one can see methane gas constantly bubbling to the surface of the pond.

In some places near the shore there is a thick oily/tar sludge on pit lake

Oily film covering the water in pit lake

The pits are fenced off for obvious reasons and as I was walking around pit lake I saw this area outside of the fenced area where oil/tar was oozing out of the ground.  "….Then one day he was shootin at some food,  and up through the ground came a bubblin' crude."

Methane gas bubbling to the surface in an area with thick heavy oil

In a few locations they have had to place metal barriers around locations where the oil is oozing out of the lawn.

Worker pruning an ornamental tree……An accident waiting to happen….

Excavated block of hardened asphalt filled with bones

The ground sloth stood about 4-6' tall

Bison

Mastadon

Saber Tooth Cat

Joe Camel's cousin

Mammath

400+ skulls of the Dire Wolf.  More than two thousand have been found to date

American Lion

The "Fish Bowl" where paleontologists and many volunteers clean and identify bones

Pit 91 is an active pit where they scoop out tar and free bones from hardened asphalt.  The pit is inactive during the winter months as the tar is too difficult to remove.  These photos are looking down into the pit from a glass enclosed viewpoint area above.

And I will leave you with this photo of a van parked in the lot.  We later saw the owner getting into the van and not surprisingly it belonged to a 64 or so year old pan-handling guitar player that was performing in the park for pocket money. 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:07:24 PM by Mikey »
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: La Brea Tar Pits
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:51:18 AM »
Fine photos Mikey.  I will cleean up my van!
The Tar Pits are a site well worth seeing.  Those of you that are old enough to remember comedian Jack Benny, my recall his joking comments about the Tar Pits.
He met his wife, Mary Livingstone, a few blocks away at Macy's Dept. Store. Now long gone.
The SAG offices are next door at 5555 Wilshire blvd.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
Thank you for taking us along on this field trip!  It's been a very long time since I visited the Tar Pits with my then young kids!  Crazy to think that in such a large metropolis that oil is bubbling up through the lawn.  I know that if there were to be oil bubbling up through my garden (no lawn) that you know I will have no rights to the riches that could be made.   :P  Signed those rights years ago when I purchased my castle.  :D

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:38:03 AM »
The fetching Mrs. Mikey figured it probably was a minimum of 20 years since our last visit to the pits back when our kids were young.  If we had delayed our visit to today we likely would have seen some Hollywood celebrities at Canter's Deli.  A morning KFI talk radio host set up shop in Canter's Deli today and was interviewing various celebrities....  I wonder if Jerry was one of the celebs to be interviewed?....    {:-P;;

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
Fascinating Mikey!  I have to look up the american lion--I am fascinated by archeology!  Can't get over the difference between the mastadon and the mammoth!  Thanks for showing me something I'll probably never get to see!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »
Here is some signage for the American Lion

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:47:54 PM »
Thanks again Mikey.  I went to National Geographic (after I Googled american lion) and read about the animal and it's relation to the tar pits.  I tried to post a link, but it wouldn't take...

Interesting article!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:30:36 PM »
I watched a documentary on that a while back. Very interesting.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:20:16 AM »
Great pics Mikey.......thanks for taking us along.  You have so many interesting things to do and see out there.  I especially like the picture of the oil fields...........reminds me of ones I have taken of wind farms.

Karen 

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »
Thanks for the memories - I used to visit there quite often.  One of my favorite rainy day places to go was the LA County Museum of Art, which is right next door.  And you had to go and mention Cantor's Deli?  Ate there nearly every Sunday when I was a kid - best pastrami in Los Angeles!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
Lynda: The only reason we ate at Cantor's Deli was because on a prior trip to LA I mentioned we had a great pastrami sandwich at Langer's Deli.  You responded and said Cantor's had a better pastrami.......and you were right  @O@.  What's more, Cantor's is in a much nicer neighborhood.  That area around Macarthur Park is now like taking a trip to a 3rd world country...  Thanks for the Cantor's Deli tip!  My Valentine cringed when she saw the menu prices but once she started eating eating the pastrami she said, "Oh my, this is worth it!"

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
That was very very pleasureable to see your pictures and read about the tar pits.
Haven't been there in years. In fact,used to live in the next town. My daughter was
about 6 then, she still remembers it!!!

Marie Fisher

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Wow, this is SO interesting!  I would really like to see all this in person.  California has so much to offer and one of these days I will get there.  Thanks for these.

emm

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
A great thread Mikey.  I must add that Canter's is not what it once was.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Lynda

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »
Mikey, if there's one thing I know well, it's good Jewish Deli!  So glad I could help you and the Fetching Mrs. Mikey out.  Now I want a pastrami sandwich badly. There isn't ONE decent Jewish deli in this entire state!  Oh well, I'll be back in So Cal next week to take care of my uncle, I'll settle for Katella Deli...won't have time to go to LA.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"