Author Topic: Greenhouse in the winter  (Read 5083 times)

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse in the winter
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:26 AM »
Lots going on there.  It must feel good to go into the greenhouse on a cold winter day and putter around in there for a while.  I appreciate all the photos; its an interesting setup you have.

emm

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »
I have always wanted a greenhouse, now the trees have grown so much there is little room for one and it wouldn't get the sun probably needed
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »
I usually start building the fires at 4 before the sun goes down, and reload about every two hours, so usually my last time to load is around midnight. Last night at midnight the temperature on my thermometer outside read 4*, but inside the gh was 45*. Not too bad. I used to get up at 3 and add to the fire but I decided that after midnight  I didn't want to get up from bed and put wood on the fire, so I let the gas heater take over entirely after midnight when the temp gets too low. I need my sleep!  Wink

Wow. I've looked at (and enjoyed) these pics a few times now, all bundled up nice in my warm house with hot coffee. But I keep thinking, how can you do all that day after day? Trudging out to the greenhouse and maintaining that heat. And do you get any heavy snow that you need to take off the greenhouse?

Your level of dedication is amazing.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »
I enjoy going out to the gh and puttering around in the winter even just for an hour or so. Unfortunately, we had a fire a few weeks ago the did considerable damage to the gh, although only a portion was ruined entirely. Now begins the task of rebuilding. Temporary repairs has keep the gh working, however.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"