Author Topic: covered bridge  (Read 1062 times)

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
covered bridge
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
this is a covered railroad bridge that we are restoring. It was built in 1925. they are expecting it to get national awards and recognition

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: covered bridge
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:14:02 PM »
tell us more. Looks fantastic.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:15:43 AM »
I live in an area with a lot of covered bridges, I don't believe any of ours are railroad bridges......that's a cool one! 

We have a big covered bridge festival every fall.  The problem around here are arsonists.  One of the nearby bridges was burned a few years ago.  The area landowners donated standing trees to build a new one.  I would take my Mom and Sis once a week, with lunch, sit in the car and watch the new one being built, all donated helpers.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to burn down something like that.  They caught the guy............he was at the next one starting a fire under it.  :'( Thank goodness they got there soon enough to save it, he had just got out of prison for burning down an apartment house.  Another one in the area was burned, but it was on a road less traveled and they never rebuilt it.

A couple years ago my brother and his wife (newly retired) started a project of finding all the bridges to photograph and write up a little history on.  I couldn't believe how many there were. 

Please keep us informed of the progress.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:50:21 AM »
That looks like fun. Like Karen said, I hope no idiot arsonist burns it down. There is one in a little village near here that was burned several years ago but the people rebuilt it. Even though it could be used for cars, it isn't allowed.

There is another one about 10 miles from here on a back road that is still in use. It's fun to walk across it and study it's structure and imagine how on earth they managed to get those huge timbers in place and then imagine what used to go across it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:09:23 PM »
So Cool!  Beautiful.  I grew up on the East Coast and saw many wooden bridges similar to yours that are still used today.  I never really thought of them being around this far west.  Good to know!

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
This is the Chambers Railroad bridge. It was built to haul logs to J.H. Chambers sawmill It was in use from 1925 untill 1943. It has burned three different times but thankfully the fires didnt damage it that bad.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"