Author Topic: recommend a submerged plant  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Bearb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
recommend a submerged plant
« on: March 16, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »
I am pretty much set with plants, but I just cant' resist the spring urge to hunt down the next pond addition. Last year I broke down and added UV which completely eliminated spring lag between suspended algae and plant growth, fuled an existing string algae problem. Without the small amount of platonic algae to help the plants tie up nutrients, the string algae was worse than ever. I usually don't have many underwater plants because they either don't thrive, clog my pump or get covered in string algae and look awful. Can anyone recommend an underwater plant that meets the below criteria:

- Low growing 6 to 8 inches or better yet less (I don't want any more plants that breach the surface and take away the visual appeal of the lily leaves.
- Not free floating.
- hardy to zone 5a 6b.
- hungry (hopefully give the SA a run for its money).
- small sample available here or locally to try it out.

Would be even better if:

- interesting color.
- gracefully flows in the water currents.
- low maintenance.

I would love something that I could "carpet" part of the bottom with.
Bryan

Offline Bearb

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: recommend a submerged plant
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:09:32 AM »
I should add that I have tried anacharis and for some reason it didn't thrive. It grew well for a while then just stopped and the little broken off bits clogged the filter. I had a similar plant who's name escapes me at the moment. The finer texture of the leaves became the perfect place for SA to grow and it looked gross.

I am thinking about java moss but am concerned that it wold run amok and also that it may not look too much different than SA. Anyone want to weigh in here?

In case it makes a difference, I'll list the specks and plants I have:
- 550 gal.
- 20 gal. skippy type filter feeding small waterfall.
- 4 water lilies fertilized with osmocote.
- loads of pickerel (skippy filled with the stuff).
- Iris.
- horsetail.
- two kinds of mint.*
- bog bean.*
- water celery.*
- stoncrop (sedum) in waterfall.

* Started last year, haven't really taken off yet.
Bryan

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
Brian, your zone and growing limit eliminated what I have. I have eel grass that I hope comes back this year.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 06:47:40 AM »
I'd have to say Dwarf Sagittaria....fits perfect with your needs and was very hardy here in zone 6b when I had it....but, if you have koi they will demolish it...goldies tended to not to bother it...but, it does have to be planted....Now where to find it  :-\...I'd do a google search and see who has it available....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:30:25 AM »
Thanks guys,

Scott, I figured it was a bit of a long shot. . .
Lawanna, I'm hitting google now.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Bryan

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
I am really liking the idea of dwarf sagittaria. I remember reading about it before but it didn't stick out in my head because I could never find any evidence that it would be hardy for me. What did you have it planted in? Could I just put down a layer of gravel, sand or kitty litter? That would be ideal because I prefer the look (to just black liner) and could periodically suck it up and rinse it out. then just replant the sagittaria (it would need thinning from time to time anyway). Sure would be great if someone here had it and could share or trade. I better start a thread over in the exchange.
Bryan

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 12:35:35 PM »
Sorry you caught me a year too late...I had a whole 8' kiddie pool full but, I never sold any locally so I got rid of it all...I had mine planted in dirt with pea gravel over it...I'm telling you it multiplies like made and does make a really thick carpet.....its idea if your fish will leave it alone...and that pool NEVER had a bit of algae....
Lawanna

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
Lawanna, that's okay you have pointed me in the right direction. It is also good to know that you had it in a kiddie pool. If it did well in an above ground tank in 6b, I'm sure it will be fine 2 feet down in 6b/5a. . . where did you get yours? Did you just start with a small amount? If I don't source any here, I will just buy some at a fish store when the weather warms up. I could have a good amount by the end of next year.
Bryan

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 01:18:16 PM »
I got mine online...I just googled it-and bought it at the cheapest place I could find-I want to say it was an aquarium plant dealer....I started out with maybe 6 bunches and it multiplies just as well as arrowhead sag. --just keep the fish away from it untill it gets a good start--Maybe start it off in a container by itself....
Lawanna

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 06:26:24 PM »
Brian, if what she is talking about is Sagittaria subulata, William Tricker has it.  http://www.tricker.com/prod-p-sagittaria
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 04:11:47 AM »
 Yep that its...

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 06:35:51 AM »
That's the one. I am pretty sure I can get it locally too. I'm not going to shop around too much for it yet since the water is still cold. If I find it for trade, I can keep it inside but I'm not going to bother with that if I am just buying it down the street.

Hurry up spring! it got up to 80 degrees yesterday (will not last) and it felt so good. Most of the fish were out of hiding when I cam home from work.
Bryan

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 11:45:16 AM »
PetSmart has plain old monkey grass / mondo grass growing underwater in their plant aquariums.  That stuff is tough, so, if it really will grow underwater, maybe the fish will leave it alone. 

I have not had good luck with underwater floating plants, ever since:

-I put a pressurized bio filter on the pond; asumedly it removes so much waste that there is none left to feed the plants

-the koi grew big enough to terrorize any plants I put in there.

These days, I have my plants in "corrals" - made of PVC pipe frames covered with plastic sun screen fabric.  Allows water to flow through, keeps fish out.  I do have small fantails in these containers.

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »
For what it's worth, I have tried mondo underwater without success. A quick internet search yields comments that it is not a true underwater plant and should not be sold as one.
Bryan

Offline jatfla

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »
I was just going to post a ?? as to where to purchase anacharis online.  Our Pet Smart only has it sporadically and I need it now!  Our local nurseries are so late with pond plants.  I have tons of mondo grass so I might give it a try in the pond.  What the heck???   :)  I live in N. Fla. and Spring has sprung.  I had to resort to packaged plants from Lowes since we had a very hard, cold winter and not much survived.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"