Author Topic: Tmike wanna come help me.... HUGE pots.. how do yall handle them....  (Read 2260 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I have gotta drag some of the huge pots I have the marginals in out this year.. they are crowding and overtaking the smaller plants.  I used big baskets and planted 3 to 4 diferent types of plants in each one.. have not taken them out of the pond in 3 years.  I am pretty sure I cannot get them out myself.  anybody have any "special" tricks you have used to handle these monsters?

Tmike... wanna come help me .. you can help me devide all my lotus and then take the tubs .... think that is enuff of a bribe to get him to leave his paradise.. probably not :)

tink

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tmike wanna come help me.... HUGE pots.. how do yall handle them....
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:46:30 AM »
LOL>>>omg Tink...that happened to me a few years ago with this giant corkscrew I had planted into a 100 gallon pond ...I had to get a friend to help me pull it out...
If I lived closer I would come & help you .

bonnie

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:52:22 AM »

I'll see what I can do.  I'm very interested but I have a hard time geting a ride to the store to buy groceries.

I'll ask my friend Maggie if she can help. She has a truck and is interested in visiting your place.

I really need the big pots ! I'll let you know when I figure out something.

I am swamped with seedlings and I just found probably another thousand H X T seeds that I couldn't bring in last fall-winter because of all of the ice.  That should raise the total to over 6,000 H X T seeds from last year so I have my work cut out for me this spring. I have around 6-7 hundred growing now from last year alone and a couple hundred have surface leaves already.  It's going to be a big year with lots and lots of new hardy blues and purples.
 I left Purple Satin and some other H X Ts out last winter and they all survived and are making surface leaves so all is well in that department.

I have tons of new plants comming to breed with this summer and my goal is to make around 10-15,000 H X T seeds with the new breeding plants and then spend the next couple years growing them out. I'll have so many seedlings that I will have to take a couple years off from making seeds in order to devote my time to planting them all.

Pond Megastore is going to be growing and selling my lilies for me so I can devote my time and space totally to breeding. So expect big things from Turtle Island in the next few years. Sunfire should be available in 2012 along with some others, maybe even Purple Satin. So be patient and in a couple years the flood gates will be open and they won't close for a long time.  I know people that are building new ponds right now just for my new lilies so get ready to evict your old ones or start digging !

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »
Oh boy, I anxiously await the day they will be available for purchase.  8-)~

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
WOW , that's a lot of seedlings ! I cannot wait to see pictures of them blooming....I might have to dig another pond too...lol

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
hehehe bonnie...I wish I could find a way to have another one..I wish you lived here to... I need a hypertufia/shopping partner :)

TMike... I figured you were very very busy.  I was mostly kidding I knew you couldnd come here for long enuff to do what we need to do.  It wil take me days and days to get all those lotus tubers out of there and dig out the pots.  I wil get them to ya on one of my visits.  I will probably just get in the pond and try deviding/cutting them apart and be real careful with the liner.  I am not sure anybody could lift them now and sure the roots have grown to the liner :)  i really gotta decide on the koi.. I wanna keep them but they are so ruining my lilies and they are so big now... if I thought I could get them to you safely so I could still visit with them when I come there.

tink

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »
Oh Mike I will love to buy your lilies. Good luck with your year. Please post pictures.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
Fairy Skirts, Fairy Skirts...I want Fairy Skirts   8-)~   o(:-) 8-)~

Offline turtlemike

• Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
 Bring those big boys over. I have a spring fed pond for them that they can stay in for several years. I do have plans to hugely enlarge it in the future but right now it's just an eighth acre or less wildlife pond full of catails, yellow iris and leafy pondweed for them to eat. Koi heaven.  Do they eat snails ?

I'm sure Fairy Skirt will be one Pond Megastore will want to sell. It's slower to reproduce but I have pretty many of them now.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »

I'm sure Fairy Skirt will be one Pond Megastore will want to sell. It's slower to reproduce but I have pretty many of them now.

Hey Mike , does Pond Megastore have a web site ? I think koi do eat snails because I cannot seem to keep snails in their pond....lol

hehehe bonnie...I wish I could find a way to have another one..I wish you lived here to... I need a hypertufia/shopping partner :)

tink

Hey tink , that would be nice ! Maybe this Summer we can get together one day and make a few hypertuyia  flower pot's...I have a really big
form that I made for a big pot ! I think it's 4' long x 2' wide lol

bonnie

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 07:14:42 PM »
Thank you Sue !

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 06:53:25 PM »
Sue, we all do things different ways of doing things we really can't do. My method, if I can ever
get a plant to rocking, then give it big shove as you can.  Gradually can get it over to where you
want it, then stick a dolly (2 wheeler) under it.  You've got it whipped then, can go where you want
to with it. I couldn't function without my dolly around here. My husband calls this Marie's rock and roll
method. LOL

Marie

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »
I'd be totally lost without my little red wagon.  If I can lift it...I can move it!

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 06:08:46 AM »
I've gone to planting in smaller containers for just this reason...problem is having to repot/divide more often.

Tmike, I'll take a Fairy Skirt up here in WI and cold water test it for you  ;) or any others you want to send  {:-P;;
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"