Author Topic: Granite rock with cement filler?????  (Read 2599 times)

Offline lerchcon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Granite rock with cement filler?????
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:19:45 AM »
over the past three years I have had many problems of trying to clean my pond out, because the pond man that built it, barried the pumps under the rocks.  Less to see I understand, impossible to get to to clean is what they are = (.  anyhow I am looking to fix this, I have pictures here on this site of my pond.  I am hoping to get some help with this from here.  I am looking to fill in between all rocks and boulders with cement/mortar not sure which would be better add the coloring when mixing to match the vegas theme.  I then plan to cement the bottom as well with river rock on the bottom so to help the concrete and make it easier to clean with a brush.  anyhow if i do this how long will I have to wait to put my fish back in, because as of now I dont have anywhere to put them except in a plastic container.  Also the pond guy recommended that I use a 3/4 to 1hp hayward powerflo matrix pump instead of using submersible ones.  The reason he says to use this is because they hold up to the heat here in vegas, and they cost around 175.00.  So in doing research the amps are about equal to a savio master solids sub pump, has anyone else used these?  If so what was you outcome?

Offline Tadpole

• Members
  • With us since: 30/01/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Granite rock with cement filler?????
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »
I understand your concerns with maintenance, but you need to realize that this particular remedy will prove to be quite extensive and time consuming. Before any of the existing rock can be secured with concrete it will need to be thoroughly cleaned to insure adhesion, which may be a near impossible task given the biofilm that has colonized the rock surfaces. I would suggest all new rock. After the concrete has sufficiently cured, I would then seal the entire surface with Pond Armor or an equivalent product. You WILL need to provide adequate temporary (7 - 10 days minimum) housing for your fish.

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 04:30:25 AM »
Do they make a product like pond armor that is a clear finish so the natural beauty of the rock will come through? i have a pressure washer so hopefully it will clean all the rock well enough, then there is the biggest task of all making sure my fish make it through my transformation.  I am really looking forward to this task just not the lifting of almost 6 tons of rocks = (.  But i got to say that i like your ideas, and as said to one other here tonight,  i like where your head is at = ).  keep the suggestions comming my way.  Thanks again

Offline Tadpole

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:43:08 AM »
Pond Armor is available in clear as well as several different colors.

Pressure washing may not be sufficient in removing the biofilm. It may remove the visible algae and such, but biofilm is almost indestructible (think tooth plaque) and is resistant to even the most caustic agents. I have read of instances where sand-blasting was used. I know it sounds unbelievable, but it is true. As I indicated, it may be necessary to replace the present rock.

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:07:14 PM »
as much as i know you are correct, i am not looking forward to it, because it will cost alot more money and take alot more lifting. :-\.  the main reason i want to mortar in the pond like in this video http://www.youtube.com/ThePondDigger#p/u/3/tsbkfUswHFs  is because it will give me much more room in the entire pond, not to mention keep the rock from falling  plus i want to do a flagstone border around the side that faces the house, instead of rock, that way it is easier on the eye to see the waterfall when it hits the water.  keep up the suggestions, have a great day

Offline Tadpole

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
It will be a fun project.  Just don't forget to stock up on "Wheaties", you'll need them. ;) ;) ;)

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »
your not kidding I will need alot of them maybe even some egg yolks lol.  My really only dilema now is how to provide a temp shelter for my fish

Offline Tadpole

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:24:53 AM »
Well, while you are spending money, one of these may be a solution.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/search/0/portable%20tanks

Offline lerchcon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »
i was thinking maybe an above ground made out of 2 X 4 for now with just the liner inside.  I have a patio cover so I can just put it on there I also have a 1200 gallon per hour pump sitting around, that way when I am done I can just tear it down and save liner for later.  I figure maybe 100 dollars for this build and that is mostly liner

Offline Tadpole

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 06:20:10 PM »
Don't forget to provide filtration.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"