Author Topic: Spring start up  (Read 767 times)

Offline dsep

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Spring start up
« on: March 28, 2011, 04:28:46 PM »
I just wanted some info about what fellow ponders due when they start up their  ponds ? How to get clear water? How much do you change water what percent? Glad to be back on ponders it has been a long winter.
Happy Spring to everyone!

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Spring start up
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:42:47 AM »
We usually start up our pump as soon as hubby could tolerate the frigid water, April around here in Mi usually. We add some Microbelift to help the pond clear and do some small water changes  over a few days rather than one big one.
Kathy

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:08:23 AM »
I only have goldies and lilies.  I leave my pump running all winter so it is just a matter of putting new material in my DIY filters and vacumming the bottom to do a few water changes.  Remember to use declor if needed.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 06:28:57 AM »
We usually start the pump up when the weather is warm enough for us to be out and about in the garden, usually around April.  I put filter mats in to trap the debris, add Aqua-One, koi clay, and activated charcoal.  Pond water is normally clear even before starting up the pump.  This year I have tea colored water because my net broke in the middle of winter and lots of leaves fell into the pond.  But water is still clear.  Between the filter mats and activated charcoal, my pond will be back to normal in a week or 2.  I don't vacuum the pond until about a month or so later, usually in mid to late May.  After vacuuming the pond, I always add Chloam-X in before adding fresh water back into the pond since I've city water.

HTH.

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"