Author Topic: Adding beneficial bacteria to new pond?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/03/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Adding beneficial bacteria to new pond?
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:37:25 AM »
I'm getting ready to add my liner and fill it up. My question is, do I add one of the beneficial bacteria products they have out there? If so, which one? I'm somewhat confused as to what they do. Are they like the good bacterias that I've been hoarding out of my aquarium filters, for use in seeding my pond filter?

Also, what should the levels on my test strips be at before I add my fish? I've seen so many numbers in threads, my head is spinning. :)

Thanks for any help. This is my first big pond, I'm trying not to screw up too bad, lol.
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,
But then we'd both be wrong....

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Adding beneficial bacteria to new pond?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »
Got an aquarium inside?  If so, add some of the water from it to your pond plus some of the gravel & filter media.  Be sure to dechlor your pond first.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:21:14 AM »
I believe the beneficial bacteria will happen on it's own too.  Just give it some time.
I don't save the gunk from my filters (good Bacteria)  I feel there is plenty I miss when rinsing.
I have no problem. 2 days after cleaning I have very clear water and happy fish!

There is a drain cleaner of some kind that has the good bacteria.  I know a few that just use that!
Yes, sounds weird.  NO NOT DRANO!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:46:55 AM »
I have been told by some very knowledge people that the bottled bacteria is just hype..Yes the aquarium gunk will help you start it up.....Your pond can't even begin to cycle with out ammonia--ammonia is a by product of fish...so I say add a few fish that you don't care to loose and wait...keep an eye on your ammonia-here is a really helpful chart when cycling pond just enter your ammonia number and hit recalculate http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcnh3c.asp then scroll down to your water temp and then over to your ph number---it will tell you if those numbers are dangerous to the fish..Also those test strips are not too accurate--I prefer the test tube type kits.....It usually takes about 2-3 weeks to start seeing ammonia...once you no longer are seeing detectable ammonia then you can start to add a few more fish at a time....different bio's mature at different rates...i can tell you the more oxygen going into the bio--the better....I have O2 in both my bio's...
Lawanna
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:52:40 AM by tranquility »
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline cindy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
If the aquarium fish isn't the same fish as the pond fish, I'd skip their good bacterias.  Just let the pond cycle with your fish keeping an eye on ammonia ph kh and nitrite. 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
That's why I love Skippy!  I don't do nuttin! @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"