Author Topic: spring cover and spawning  (Read 932 times)

Offline andi_mn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
spring cover and spawning
« on: April 10, 2011, 07:16:44 AM »
hi, it's finally, finally spring here in mn. it was a long, horrible winter. the pond is running and the fish are in the pond. tomorrow i should get my spring fish food and barley from fostersmith.  it will be a long time here before any plants will be big enough for cover or spawning material. what do you all use temporarily in the spring for your fish? also some of my fish are older and are looking a little rough around the edges after a winter in the basement. is there a general treatment to boost immune systems, etc?  i just have goldfish but a couple of them are  15 yr old. of course 'the heron' got the biggest, prettiest and the oldest last spring.    :'(
oh, and you know the bumpy bio stuff that's in a bag in the waterfall? how often should that be changed out?
ordering lilies from kat...cant wait.  thanks , andi

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: spring cover and spawning
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:21:33 AM »
I use plastic asparagus ferns, just float them. 
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Michiponder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
I use the strips of the same material used in spawnimg bags for spawning material.  It is just synthetic fabric and looks like gorilla fur.  It can be found at most large fabric shops by the yard.  One advantage is that it can be removed so the parents and others do not eat the eggs.  If you sew it into the shape of a bag (use syntetic thread or fine fishing line so it won't rot) you can simply turn it inside out and leave it in the pond with an airiator for hatching.  This will protect the eggs and fry and gives you a lot more baby fish.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:55:33 AM »
Yarn spawning bobbers using wine corks for the float, water hyacinth, & Parrot's Feather all make nice spawning items for goldfish.

Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:03:58 AM »
I made a yarn pom-pom and cork floater from Kat's instruction and it worked very well. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"